Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Keep left unless overtaking directive by Vicroads

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by cjvfr, Nov 11, 2015.

1. As a volunteer I participate in the Learner to P Plate program. Funded by TAC and Vicroads it is intended to help Learners that don't have access to family vehicles get their 120 hours of supervised driving.

We have been issued a directive from Vicroads, prompted apparently by public comment to them to emphasise lane discipline. This came as a surprise and hopefully will mean the police may be acting on this more frequently. Well we can hope anyway. i.e. Rule 130

130—Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if—

(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is
    driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
    (b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the
    driver is driving.
    Note 1—
    Length of road and multi-lane road are defined in the dictionary.
    Note 2—
    Part 3 deals with speed limits.

(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless—

(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and
    is giving a right change of direction signal; or
    (b) the driver is overtaking; or
    (c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane
    and the driver is not turning left; or
    (d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159; or
    (e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or
    (f) the traffic in each other lane is congested; or
    (g) the traffic in every lane is congested; or
    (h) the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another
    provision of the Australian Road Rules, is permitted to drive; or
    (i) there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.
    Offence provision.
    Note 1—
    Centre of the road, left traffic lane arrows, obstruction, overtake, right change of
    direction signal, special purpose lane, traffic and U-turn are defined in the dictionary.
    Note 2—
    Rule 159 deals with traffic signs that require a particular kind of vehicle to drive in the
    marked lane indicated by the signs.
    Note 3—
    Rule 329 deals with when a traffic control device applies to a marked lane.

(3) A keep left unless overtaking sign on a multi-lane road applies to the length of road
    beginning at the sign and ending at the nearest of the following:

(a) an end keep left unless overtaking sign on the road;
    (b) a traffic sign or road marking on the road that indicates that the road is no
    longer a multi-lane road;
    (c) if the road ends at a T-intersection or dead end—the end of the road.

(4) In this rule— lane, for a driver, means a marked lane for vehicles travelling in the same direction as
    the driver, but does not include a special purpose lane in which the driver is not
    permitted to drive.

Note 1— Marked lane and special purpose lane are defined in the dictionary.
    Note 2— Rule 95 deals with driving in emergency stopping lanes, and Division 6 of this Part deals
    with driving in other special purpose lanes.
    slow vehicle turn out lane means a marked lane, or the part of a marked lane, to
    which a slow vehicle turn out lane sign applies.
    A slow vehicle turn out lane is designed for slow-moving vehicles to move into to allow
    faster vehicles to pass in an adjacent marked lane.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Perhaps they might like to aim that directive at taxi drivers :LOL:

Great work Chris(y)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FIxed it for you NedNed. Must have been that cursed predictive text.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. speed kills must be working so they are looking for another revenue source
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Not sure how this helps riders.
    Personally I keep to the right lane when clear and flowing even it may be flowing slightly over the speed limit, obviously I will change lanes to let vehicles going faster the 'safe' speed past me.
    Its one less lane direction for people to kill you from and you can often see them raise their hand on the indicator (when they use it) before they change lanes.

For a learner rider I'd advocate "Don't be an obstruction", "go with the flow" and "keep your head up and out of the dash"...ofcoarse 100% contradictory to Vicroads.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Good points as a rider regarding the indicator (ignoring the fact people don't always indicate). The issue comes Nicholai, when everyone is doing the same speed in all the lanes. People think they are driving at the speed limit, but often aren't...

If people are doing the same speed as the car in the lane to the left, drop back in behind them and continue the Bridestone synchronised driving demonstration.
  7. In NSW it is way too common for P players to sit in right hand lane rather than keep left. Often they may just by trying to be c#cks..
    I think it's entirely appropriate to try and reinforce to both young riders and drivers that they should keep left...
  8. Good and valid point, it certainly is frustrating especially when you have cars well under the limit hogging the right lane. Drivers in the right lane do tend to be more aggressive, less forgiving and may tailgate each other in chains. With traffic behind you its important they are overtaking you on the right not chopping you up on the left and not to be caught in the crossfire of them passing a slow car.

Every lane has its dangers,
    Left: People coming to a complete halt to go into side streets, people pulling out of sidestreets, pedestrians
    Middle: Merging from both directions, stopped cars pulling out into the middle lane from behind bus's
    Right: Aggressive drivers, things happen faster, cars entering or crossing the roadway from the right, banked up right turning lanes, less trucks.

Certainly in the right lanes I ride in you need to have your wits about you, always be in the power, know where everything is around you and expect some women in a dark SUV piloted by women on a mobile phone to merge parallel into you .

It would be great to have everyone pick an appropriate lane however it will never happen. Riders just have to gauge to themselves which looks the calmest, weigh up the dangers each lane presents and ride accordingly..
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Laws aside, anyone who hogs the right lane is a 100% total fcuklord.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. This is close to existing QLD legislation as well. Ours is just worded 90kph or faster.
  11. one of the problems is, no one wants to speed up to 105 to overtake a car doing 95 for fear of getting fined, oh and the fact the person doing 95 sees someone over taking and thinks "woops I'm going too slow" then they speed up to 100 until the overtaker drops back in behind.......
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. It helps, as how often do you come up behind someone dawdling in the right hand lane only for them to not move over, even when safe for them to do so. You then end up forced to overtake on the left or sit behind them.. I hate having to overtake people on the left, but I do when behind ignorant drivers who don't know or care about keeping left.

I try to be courteous and stay left, even when on the bike, as it's not that hard to position yourself safely to be seen or leave yourself an escape route. Driver attitudes are deplorable, I blame the Caesar mentality, peoples self importance.

I'm glad this is getting some attention and hopefully the police do actually start enforcing this rule. Although I think Vicroads would have to really advertise this to change driver behaviour and attitudes, only a good thing though by starting this at the learner level for the next generation.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. My other half was one of these people when we first met. Drove me bonkers when she drove, she would just sit there in the right lane, with no other traffic around at spot on the speed limit. I kept my mouth shut for about a month, then couldn't take it any longer, and stated she is being ignorant. She didnt take it too well initially (there's no one around, what does it matter, yada yada), but 20 years later, were still married, and she now hates it when others do it.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. I think it needs a public awareness campaign. Not just that it's against the law at 90 and above, but just that it's rude and distruptive to traffic flow on all multi-lane roads regardless of the posted limit.

Perhaps if people got it in their head that they should be curtious to others on the road, there would be less road rage incidents and less accidents born out of frustration.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Leave it alone: I can then stay in the empty left lane and pass all the twits hogging the right and centre lanes on the Tulla. As usual ;)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Which presents it's own set of risks - not only from a safety perspective but also from being fined.

Car with driver hogging right lane...
    Motorcycle undertaking on left lane...

Guess which one's more likely to get the ticket.

One thing I'm curious about is flashing headlights. AFAIK there's an exception in the road regs that allow a driver to flash their high beams to indicate that they are about (or wish) to overtake. I wonder how many drivers are aware of this - or how often it would be considered road rage as opposed to the courtesy indicator that it was intended to be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. I do sometimes try that as first response, flash of the lights. Sometimes people shift over, other times not. I will indicate and pause a second or two, before undertaking (as you put it), gives them a chance to see my intention.
  18. Common misconception AJ, but overtaking on the left on a marked road is not an offence. The offence of "overtaking on the left" is for unmarked roads.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. And that's why some people do it, just to piss people off.
    Needs a cultural change, but some people are quite happy being annoying kents.
  20. On the Hume Hwy whilst driving, it's not uncommon to see people all by themselves in the right lane. I often refuse to change into the left lane, I give them the high beams, the horn until they move over. And buger me dead, despite being the only car in sigh they then change back into the right hand lane... Must be getting ready for the right hand merge onto the M5 - 600 km's down the road.
    • Agree Agree x 6