Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawaskai zzr250 (1990)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sandaz, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Hey there, Im close to buying a 1990 Kawaskai zzr250 and it is making a small knocking sound when it idles (this clears up when a touch of gas is applied). The seller said all zzr250's do this. Is this correct?

Thanks heaps guys.
  2. It's a parallel twin, so there's always going to be a knocking.

A bit hard to tell without hearing it. If in doubt, take an experienced friend to listen with the promise of a six-pack.
  3. it's normal... do a search on youtube and you'll see all zzr250 makes that knocking noise...
  4. yeah its normal.. as long as it dosent sound like a bag of golf balls has been emptied into the engine with a few ball bearings to boot.
  5. Its normal and if it dissapeares at about 2000rpm you'll be fine.
    A 19 year old 250 would want to be cheap.
  6. Thanks heaps guys. Yeah he wants $3000Au but knows he wont get it. Its in really tidy condition (new paint etc) Been dropped but with new fairings (plus a slightly bent handlebar). Its unregisterd so I might offer him $2500. at 56000k's, good deal???
  7. be wary you'll need a new handlebar if you have a fastidious rwc check. check that it hasn't been written off etc too of course.
  8. Mate regardless of new fairings for that age $2000 is top dollar.
    If you have $3000 you'll get a much newer ZZR250 in fact I know a 2000 model in Sale that the owner would seriously look at $3000 and with much lower k's.
  9. The knocking is just a weird sound that the clutch makes at idle... completely normal. Pull the clutch in and it should stop. If not.. there's something else wrong with it.
  10. I almost bought a 92 zzr250 for 3300 n had 34000kms n didnt have a scratch on it. n it came with full years rego n roadworthy.

do you even get a roadworthy? if not u might want to consider it again, might cost you even more to get it on the road + rego
  11. Unregistered? Bent bar? I'd offer him $1500 cash and walk away.

Seriously, check out some other offers and see what they are going for. Don't be in a hurry, you'll end up doing something you will regret. Consider the LAMS options as well. Don't feel like this will 'get away from you', as it doesn't matter if it does; its not a good deal.

Cheers - boingk