Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZZR250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hotdayum, Jan 8, 2016.

1. #1 hotdayum, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
    Hey guys, new to the forum!

Ummm.. so i have a Kawasaki ZZR250 and basically it is only running when the tank is set to RESERVE?!?!?!?! i understand that the reserve is only the shorter straw on the inner side on the tank, but why wont it run on the main (longer straw) tank???

2. Blockage in fuel tap ????? Maybe crap in there but clean on reserve ??? Get a new one or give it a big clean ????
  3. The fuel valve is vacuum operated I believe, check no kinks in the vacuum tube. Otherwise you may need to do a rebuild of the petcock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ill have to try the cleaning method, blew my budget on new gear :(
  5. Either you are running out of fuel and down to reserve or the non-reserve straw may be blocked.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. shine a torch (not a lighter :p ) into the tank and look at the filter stuff, see if it's gunked up
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Unscrew tank, pull the hoses off, drain it into a jerry can by setting it on prime and unscrew the petcock off the bottom of the tank and see if you can find a blockage.
    As their is no fuel filter in the tank it might have just sucked in some grass or something when it was last running on Main.
    Theirs not going to be a blockage or fault anywhere else in the system so it should be easy to isolate down.

My guess is its a 1-2 hour job assuming your mechanical ability is close to 0...should take 10 minutes to take the tank off.
  8. I'll be sure not to use a lighter! haha and thank you Nicholai_chev I'll be sure to give it a shot tomorrow during the day :)
  9. I had a blocked straw and was able to unblock it simply by blowing backwards back up the fuel line. Mine was a simple gravity feed line though. Not sure if you can do that with the standard Japanese arrangement where the valve seems to shuts off when the engine isn't operating.