Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZZR 250 - Starting issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Shoot To Thrill, Sep 29, 2008.

1. I own a 2001 model Kawasaki ZZR 250 and for the last couple of days it's had some odd issues starting.

I ususally leave it in neutral, and lately when I've tried to start it, it's just made a clicking noise. (I've triple checked the kill switch etc)

I play with it for a bit and get it into first gear from neutral a couple of times and it will start.

Is it an issue with the fly wheel catching or something??

Any help would be much appreciated!

- Jen

2. so it wont start in neutral but will start in 1st gear when you have the clutch in??

might be electrical? i'm assuming the neutral light lights up when in neutral? I'd test on mine but its in a heap of bits... try starting in neutral with clutch in or out?

3. The neutral light comes on... It's really weird :(

4. It sounds like the clutch switch and side-stand inhibitor switch are having a difference of opinion.

Give the pair of them a good spray of Inox.

5. +1.. there is a dissagreement in the electrics there..

6. This makes sense!! Thanks so much! xox

7. After some further investigation it appears the issue is with my starter motor.

Anyone know how much a new one would set me back?

8. Hi, You can pick up a starter motor for about $80.00 from a Bike wreckers. make sure they have a warranty with it for peace of mind or that it has been tested.

9. Thanks very much.. I ended up going to the wreckers and it cost be about $100.

Problem all solved now :)