Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZZR 250 oil problems

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by biteme81, May 20, 2008.

1. HELP i have a 1994 kawasaki zzr 250 that is sucking oil up through the air filter, i have checked for blockages but have had no luck, does anyone have an idea of where else to start looking for the problem?

2. Check if the oil is overfilled, then get back to us.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. nope its not been over filled
  4. basically the glass was clear, so i put 300ml of oil in as a test and watched it show up on the glass, then ran the bike for a while and once i turned it off put the measuring cup under the bike and it spat out 300ml of oil....

someone told me air filter may be blocked causing it to pressurise, but i replaced that and its still doing it...
  5. Haven't stalled the bike?

I've only ever seen oil in the airbox after stalling, is the hose connected to the airbox properly?

On the sight glass, is the whole window full? I was told to only fill 3/4 of the way up.
  6. You know to stand the bike up before checking the site glass? i.e. so the bike is vertical

Not intended to offend but a friend of mine thought his was empty the other day for this reason. :roll:

Overfilling is the 'textbook' cause - literally.
  7. That almost happend to me. I just topped up the oil while it was up, then i put it on the kickstand and wondered WTF :eek: did the oil go?
  8. There may be a valve in the vent from the case. check if this is so and that it is working properly.

After you've checked that, a blocked filter may cause the problem. remove it temporarily and check.

Failing that I'd say you've buggered some rings. check compression.
  9. yes i know to stand the bike up to check the oil, i only ever filled it to 2/3rds of the window.

air filter was full of oil so i removed it and ran the bike without it temporarily, all this did was cause it to leak while riding not just pressurize and leak once it was turned off.

i think the rings might be the way to go...
  10. Before you do anything really expensive. Do an oil and filter change and measure out exactly how much oil is to be put in (I think its a smidge under 3lt from memory). It really does sound like the crankcase is pressurising and the easiest way to do that is to way overfill the sump.
    There is bugger all difference between no oil in the sight glass and it being full. I suggest you try again especially if this was your first change. You probably need a new air filter now too.
  11. thanx im in the process of doing that over the next couple of days, ill elt you know what happens.

thanx everyone for your input