Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZXR250 replacement keys

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by punchdrunk, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty new to this forum and riding and since I've come up with a fairly difficult issue I thought I'd use this opportunity to have my first post!

I've just purchased a Kawasaki ZXR 250 (1995 but complianced 199 - Grey import) but it only has one key. I'm afraid that if I lose this key I'll be up sh*t creek so I want to organise a spare key. The problem is it isn't like normal keys as it is small, cylindrical with notches along a ridge the length of the key. Diameter of the cylinder is about 4 or 5 millimetres only.

I have called my local Kawasaki dealer but because it is an import and not officially imported by Kawasaki, they can't order in anything. I'm about to try a locksmith but chances are getting slimmer by the phone call.

Any ideas?
  2. try international ebay you might track down a blank key you can buy and have cut here
  3. Thanks I'll give that a go and see what turns up.
  4. A good locksmith should be able to order in the correct blank
  5. I have a similiar bike and was in the same sort of situation. I got a spare cut at one of those shoe repair/key cut places at the shopping centre. I had to try a few before i found one that had spare blank bike keys. Just ask around or try a locksmith, they should be able to order one in for you.
  6. Hi Guys, I went to a few locksmiths but they have never seen this type of key before. The blade is a lot smaller in diameter than say a Harley ignition key.

I might have to resort to changing the whole ignition assembly to a normal key blade type.