Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZXR250 Questions

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by aldrich_87, Nov 9, 2009.

1. I've recently purchases an 89' ZXR250.

Previous owner lost his licence and the bike was just sitting there for a good 3-4 months.

I usually service my own car and was wondering if it was just as easy to do the same to a motorbike.

Also, what is involve in tuning a motorbike?

How much would it cost to get a proffessional to do it?

2. Bikes are pretty easy to service yourself but you are going to be on a pretty steep learning curve with an old 250/4.

They tend to be pretty mistreated and sensitive to it.

As to the cost of professional service, it really depends on what you want done.

Do oil and filters yourself and see how it runs.
  3. If you dont know the history of it, I'd recommend new plugs and maybe even leads too
    And maybe battery if its ageing a little

Flushing the radiator would be ideal, but new coolant still helps if you cant flush it

I've heard the spark plugs on 4cyl bikes are a biatch to change though, since you'd have to remove the fuel tank, and anything else in the way

4. ty much appreciated. any idea as to how much a professional would charge?
  5. Too much.

Major towns, probably around $100/hour, in the sticks, maybe $50 (personal experience)

But anything related to general servicing will be fairly easy, so why not spend an afternoon getting to know your bike whilst you laugh maniacally at the fact you just saved hundreds?