Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZX9R

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Guest, Jan 14, 2006.

1. The ZX9R Ninja is one of the most exciting rides around, this is mainly because of it's very lively and entertaining power delivery.

The brilliance of Kawasaki's ram-air system is demonstrated by virtue of the fact that even though R1's normally show a couple more horsepower on the dyno', the ZX9 tops the R1 by a few kph in timed top speed runs. Both bikes will break a genuine 170 mph. Lower RPM roll-ons however show the advantage an extra 100cc makes with the R1 getting the better of the ZX9R in that department.

The bike is reasonably light (183 kilos dry - 211 kilos wet) but does not feel as light as say a GSX-R 600 which is only a few kilos lighter, but then again it feels nowhere as heavy as a TL1000R.

Aluminium triple clamps secure the 46mm, predictable and fairly compliant, conventional forks. Racer boys will definitely want harder fork springs though. The rear shock copes admirably when trying to put the power through to the rear tyre, high speed bumps don't seem to unsettle the rear at all, but the front does become very light. However, it never seems to get out of hand and is predictable.

The handling has a definite road bias, but can still be hustled quickly through the tight stuff. Some short-shifting is necessary if the bends aren't too far apart, in order to arrive at the next bend with the front wheel on the deck. Very amusing indeed.

Through really tight stuff, a well ridden ZX6R, GSX-R 600, R6 or CBR6 will eat the ZX9 alive, as is the case for most of the high powered road-burners. Handling nirvana is a 600 and if corner speed is everything to you they may be a better choice. However, If you get off on sheer adrenaline thrills, the major league power delivery of the ZX9R will win your heart. On the ZX9 150 kph wheelies are too easy, 200 kph wheelies are not out of reach.

The Ninja is also quite comfortable, I would say it is nearly as accommodating in this respect as a VFR for the rider. Pillion's are not so well catered for but still not too badly done by when compared to other sportsbikes.

The tank range is very good. I ran it dry at 321 kilometres but have heard reports of people getting 350 kilometres out of a tank on long stretches. The advertised tank capacity is 19 litres, however this figure is closer to twenty, after switching to reserve you have about 50 kilometres to find fuel. Normally hard riding will see you get around 200 kilometres from the tank however if you really get stuck into it the tank can be drained in as little as 140 kilometres.

Quality of finish is quite good. The fairing below the screen seems very resistant to stone chipping (much more so than the VFR).

The Ninja is great on the road and no doubt one of the fastest road-burners on the market, but it would not make a great track tool. The 600 set, Blade and R1 are faster on the track. Road riding is of course a different matter and the tides turn in favour of the ZX-9R. Where do you ride most ?

The C-2 tested here has now been superseded by the new E1, (which has slightly better suspension). Thus the C-2 is now on the second-hand market and can be picked up fairly cheaply.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/zx9r.htm

2. Is that an old review? They stopped making the 9's a few years ago...

in any case...

"The 600 set, Blade and R1 are faster on the track".... they are saying the 600's are faster on the track? Dont think so somehow.... at least not the 600 from the same year...

3. They are that good Kawasaki stopped making them.

4. ... and replaced them with the ZX10R. :grin:

5. I've got a 2002 model ZX9 F1 and I've done 49,000 km on it bought from new. The only problems I've had with the bike are the replacement of both the headlight globes and a shorting of a fuse which was traced back to a dirty battery terminal putting out an irregular current.

Pillion accommodation is great with a Ventura grab rail. I had a mate on the back of mine on Tuesday and he reckoned that the pillion accommodation was more comfortable than ride position his R1. Pillions do complain though, with the bike capable of unleashing 106kw they normally complain about going too fast :)

The engine and gearbox are nuclear holocaust proof and haven't given me any trouble what so ever. Kawasaki, as can all the Jap manufactures can build inline fours in there sleep and the ZX9 engine an excellent example of there engineering capabilities. I spoke to Ken at Brighton Kawasaki on Monday about the ZX9 and he reckons that the only problems I'll have with the bike in the future will be electrical. That is I'll need a new battery and the fuel pump will give out some time over the next 50,000km. If I keep up the regular maintenance though Ken reckons up she'll just keep going to at least 100,000km's with no problems.

Another review
    http://motorcycledaily.com/03june02kawasaki2002zx9r.html

6. Dam right.. & I believe a ZX14 is on the cards

7. http://www.zx14.net/

8. kewl.. thanx for that vic :wink:

havent had a closer look until now (just did a google search).
    i dont really like the look of em.

9. More importantly...

there is going to be a ZX-10-RR.... (YES!!! DOUBLE R's) it is still in concept stage but kawasaki think it might make 200 bhp

its rumour only at the moment.... but keep an eye out

10. great review there, enjoyed reading that!

maybe i can get one in 12months

:)

11. I see the ZX14 as a powerplant with 2 wheels. Yeah, it MIGHT corner but that's not really it's intention. I've listened to enough Hayabusa riders whinging about tyre usage that i see no real point in a ZX14 other than for wank factor; or as a serious 2up tourer.

I don't see why manufacturers produce Hi-Po versions of their bikes (or atleast some tuning groups) using a turbo.

12. Here, I edited that post down to just the relevant bit for you,

What the phuq is the point of cut'n'pasting a six-year-old article? If you're impressed by your bike, tell us about it in your own words instead of relying on mouldy musings from a journo on the other side of the country...

13. This is becoming embarrassing...

14. wow what a terrible site.. is there supposed to be information about the bike somewhere?

15. It's already on the Kawasaki Austrlia website (part of the official '06 lineup). No specs up yet though, just "features and advantages" and some photos.

16. Actually, Kawasaki aren't saying much of anything... a couple of their senior engineers have mused in public, and the jungle drums have taken care of the rest.

I've got an ice cream cone that says any eventual homologation-special of the ZX10 makes not one iota more power than the base model; the two will have to conform to the same set of noise and emissions laws, after all.

Kawasaki are an annoyingly pragmatic outfit; they're not going to release a special versh of a ZX10 just for people to ooh and aah over. They'll do it to help their racing effort.

Thus, I make the following prediction... if there does end up being a ZX-10RR, its purpose will be to homologate an uneven-firing-order engine for use in WSB.