Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

KAWASAKI ZX-2R issue with noise

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by autoset, May 2, 2008.

1. Hi guys, first post so I am new to this so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am a fairly new rider, been riding for a year or so and riding a ZX-2R. Now my issue is, it has developed a distinctive knock in what I am assuming to be the engine area somewhere. Sorry to sound vague. It is a bit worse on initial cold start up and although gets slightly quieter, and I mean slightly, it is gradually getting worse ever so slightly each week. I am planning on taking it in for a service but it would be great to know your thoughts and experiences on this, if any of you have experienced it before.

Quick details if it helps, a 93 ZX-2R, done around 27,000kms. No mechanical defects to speak of except the one I am asking about :)

Hope someone can help!
  2. Does it change with engine revs?
    Does it change in gear, or with the clutch in?
    Any difference between hot and cold?
    While moving? or only stationary?

3. No it basically only does it on idle. and at lights when stationary etc. Does not do it at all when moving, or maybe its still there, you just cant here it when the engine is under load.

as far as hot and cold, its a little better when its warmed up but still very obvious. Its the same stationary with either the clutch in or sitting in neutral.
  4. Welcome to Netrider, by the way.

I don't like the sound of this noise, if you'll pardon the pun. It sounds like a piston or big end noise to me, as you describe it.

Even if the bike has been regularly serviced while you've had it, there's no way of knowing what's happened to it in the 15 years since it was built. I'd be getting my mechanic to look at it with some degree of urgency. The fact that you can't hear it when you're riding, as you correctly observe, doesn't mean it's not still there (if you're not wearing earplugs, you won't know anyway).
  5. Thanks mate, yeah it does not sound quite right I agree. I will get it seen to asap.

Its always good to know or better yet try to understand how these things work. :)
  6. Might be your cam chain tensioner, they have a habit of going in these things and give the engine quite a rattle sort of noise, particularly at idle/low revs
  7. #7 momo, May 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. geez that is the worst knock I have ever heard.

Thank god its nothing like that! It doesnt actually have ahuge resounding noise on revving. Only on idle.

Its actually looking like its the cam chain tensioner as duff_boy said so champion mate!

I dropped it off at the mechanic this afternoon and without me mentioning the cam chain tensioner, he suggested he has seen the exact thing on another one previously. Its a relatively easy and quick fix as opposed to the panic stations I was facing previously! thanks guys!

It'd be good to know why these go and what- if anything can be done to stop it.

hey while we are here, is there anything else I should look for?