Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ZX-10R Review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by [FLUX], Dec 9, 2007.

1. Damn Stew :shock:

That's one Mean MOFO

2. Looks like the ZX10R has taken over the mantle of the worlds ugliest exhaust. :p
  3. Do you really think it is uglier than what they put on B-King? Or on the new Z1000 for that matter? Well, to each their own. I'm just pleased it is finally back to where God meant exhausts to be, instead of under the seat. With Honda and Kawasaki both stepping away from underseat exhausts I hope for the end of this particular design trend because it never made sense to me.
  4. What's wrong with under the seat? At least there's it's centrally balanced with respect to weight.

I personally never understood why bike have these huge exhausts sitting off to one side.

The other advantage of an under the seat exhaust is that your pipe is protected in an off.
  5. Yes, but it sits a lot higher up, bringing the centre of gravity higher and out the back, while the generally accepted wisdom is that lower and closer to the centre is more desirable.

There would be other ways of protecting the pipe if the manufacturers cared enough to do that. But come on - they don't give a damn about that. This is in fact one of my main gripes about current bike design,

My other gripe is about how racing and marketing are entwined, with the result we end up not only accepting, but even paying extra, for the solutions that might have place on the racetrack but suck for the real road riding. Underseat pipes are the prime example of this because whatever advantage they might offer in terms of balanced weight and maybe extra degree of leaning angle is more than offset by their impracticality. They make life miserable for both the pillion and even the rider in anything but perfect conditions. If a MotoGP racer gets hot and uncomfortable then tough - they get paid for this, I'm not going to feel too sorry for them. But I certainly don't want my bike making me any more uncomfortable than I have to be. Also, I might want to take a pillion now and then, and might want to attach bags as well. And if that costs me one degree of leaning angle, that's fine with me, in fact I would say that if you truly need that extra one degree, you're probably pushing too hard for the road conditions anyway.

In any case, it simply isn't necessary to put the pipes under the seat even if performance is your primary concern. R6 is widely regarded as one of the more race-oriented 600s, but it manages with low exhaust just fine. So do the GSXRs of all capacities. So does Hayabusa... and if they can manage without underseat exhaust, I think I can too. :)
  6. Not a bad review.

Pity the bike looks like shit. :(
  7. #8 Justus, Dec 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Sorry, I was referring to bikes in the same class, I should have been more specific.
    Anyway, the current GSXR1000 is centrally balanced. :p
  9. Personally I think it has passed the mantle to the R1 now that it clearly held with last years undertail. The yammy is now the only one of the big 4 with an undertail.

I love the new ZX10 and am saving frantically!
  10. Well, if it's a regular can, yeah, they can weight a bit. Doesn't have to suck though. The F4-312R, R1 and the 675 all have undertail exhausts and which bikes took the honours in this year's Masterbike? That's right, those three in their respective classes. Clearly the weight being carried up high and to the rear isn't exactly making these bikes into slugs now, is it?

Stick an aftermarket carbon fibre can on and the weight of the OEM cans is quickly lost.