Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki Zephry (ZR)1100 - Anyone got one ?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by martych, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Looking for a modern 'classic' Jap bike around the $6k mark....and found these. Not sure of anything about them except they tick all the boxes I'm after.

Firstly, let me explain. I drive for work so am a weekend rider only at the moment. I don't have a garage, so don't want 15k worth of bike sitting in my driveway (Otherwise I'd have a Thruxton sitting there as we speak).

For what I want to spend, I want to keep away from old Brit bikes and the Enfield's are not an option for me.

Originally, I was looking at the older Honda CBX's etc, and was more than a little surprised to see people asking upwards of 12k for them (I guess they're collectable now).

The other Kwaka that I quite like is the W650, but again they're damn pricey for what they are.

Anyway, I like the look of the Zephyr's in both the 750 and 1100 guise. And I'm picking being a Kwaka, they'd be bullet-proof.

Does anyone out there own one or has at least ridden one ? They seem rare, but I'm guessing that's because (I think) they were only available in 1991 -1992.

I'd appreciate any advice or alternatives I should consider
  2. I have ridden a Zephyr 750,

The shop were I get my bike serviced leant me one for a week or so,

I think it was a 92 model?

I liked it, it was comfortable, easy to ride, the performance and handling were fine for me, it was no sports bike, but it did the job and was enjoyable

I liked it a lot more than the ER5 of GS500 they usually gave me,

I have contemplated getting one before and I think it would be a good choice for the your needs,

I think the 1100 can come in a nice retro striped paint scheme, thet would be the one to get
  3. I've got the 550 version. It certainly comfortable enough, although i think the 550 is a bit smaller than the 750 and 1100, so i'd say my height is probably the upper limit for it (5'8"ish). The 550 has more than enough power for 90% of the riding i do, so if youre just after a weekend putter the 1100 should be more than enough. The 1100 is supposedly the best engine of the 3 too.
  4. The Zephyr 1100 was a nice bike, fairly mild state of tune though... only rated at about 94ps and not a huge amount of torque (for an 1100).

At the time naked bikes were just starting to come back into the market and it was a bit ahead of the demand.

Not a bad bike though if you can find a clean tidy one.

Another bike you might like to check out is the Yamaha XJR1200 (the 1300 will probably be out of your price range).

The advantage of the XJR1200 over the Zephyr 1100 is that the motor has been around in various forms since the FJ1100 and they are bullet proof, parts are easy to get, and shops know them from top to bottom (which makes working on them quicker, easier and cheaper).
  5. www.ksrc-au.com place is littered with Kwaka people and a lot of knowledge/experience with Kwakas, would do you no harm to ask the question there.
  6. Good power to $ ratio on that one.
  7. Cheers for all the advice. You're right about this link, it's a goldmine. Thanks again.