Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki Z750 as first bike - Hypothetical Question!!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ckaine, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Hi Everyone

I have been doing lots of reading and am wondering whether someone might be able to give me some advice as to whether a Kawasaki Z750 would be suitable as a first bike?? I have read a few overseas forums which say it is quite ok as a first bike, and whilst I understand it isn't LAMS approved I'm wondering whether it would be rideable by someone new?

Whilst I wouldn't be comfortable doing it I have a friend who has his heart set on this bike, I'm just not so sure that it's a good idea.

2. Its a great bike whilst coming off restrictions.

Think it might be abit too powerful for a learner though....and illegal.
  3. If it was a good idea for a first bike it would be on the LAMS list. Simple as that.
  4. Not really! There are some bikes on the learner list which I wouldn't consider exactly a good idea to learn on (namely the big torquey motards).

Aside from the legal issues (most importantly insurance wont cover you so if you write your bike or someones exepensive car off, you're fked) I'd say the z750 should make an okay learner bike, nice comfortable riding position and predictable linear power. That said I'd recommend doing it legally, I think its pretty selfish riding uninsured.
  5. do the right thing and stay legal

some overseas countries are stupid, some people like in the USA think a 600cc supersport is a good first bike, for someone who has never ridden before... thats why there are endless threads on them forums about them wrecking or being killed...

i like the Z750 and it is easy to ride responsibly....

get a GS500 and learn to ride the wheels off that, then upgrade...