Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki: Yes we'll race. No we wont. Yes we will...

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by MSCRacing, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Official press from Kawasaki:

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 - Kawasaki announces that after constructive talks between Kawasaki, Dorna and other involved parties, a new one-rider Team will participate in the 2009 MotoGP Championship season.

This decision was made after negotiations that followed Kawasaki's January 2009 announcement to suspend its factory supported MotoGP activities due to the economic crisis. Rider for the new MotoGP team will be the Italian Marco Melandri.

The team will be equipped with Kawasaki motorcycles and supporting materials.

That Kawasaki has come to this new team approach is the result of on the one hand the need for a strong reduction of MotoGP racing investments and on the other hand the necessity to come to constructive solutions for all related parties.

The new team will disclose more details about its 2009 season's plans on a short notice.
  2. Good news for Marco.
    I still think this is going to be his retirement fund, though.
  3. Most definately.

Little Johnny Flopkins must be spinning right out.
    No job and no Monster money.
  4. Woot :grin: we still have a kwaka in motogp.

Who knows, maybe they will pull something out of the bag and get a few decent finishes. Melandri looked quicker on the green machine than he did on the duc, so maybe there's some hope for him yet. I wonder had he stayed with honda last year, would he now be on a repsol instead of Dovisioso.
  5. Unless they're pulling a fully automatic gun out of this 'bag', they have no chance! :LOL:

They were last when fully commited to the task, how do you think they'll go coming into it half baked? :cry:
  6. MotoGP needs as many bikes on the grid as they can.
  7. Good news for us, but bad for Hopper.
  8. Does anyone have any idea on Hopper's plans now that he has lost his MotoGP ride with Kawasaki?

Considering his talent it would be good to see him in some form of international racing.

"I live my life a corner at a time.... Knee down!"
  9. Oh well, Melandri finished the Qatar test at the bottom. :( Since he was saying he will make his decision to stay based on the test, I guess he will choose to pull out rather than waste time puttin' around the back.

Perhaps HRC will opt for his services for the first race, since Pedrosa banged himself up a bit.
  10. Wow, that's some speculation.
    He said he felt alright on the Kwaka.....
  11. Time will tell, but only a mug would think that Team K will do any good, this year.
  12. Yea, I guess I'm just making shit up. :p

Only he knows how much room for improvement there is and whether it's achievable.

On a different note, it's still hard to gauge how much of a difference there is between Stoner and Rossi, at the moment it looks much the same as last year. If Stoner can put this kind of gap on the field at Jerez testing then I'll be impressed.
  13. Pre-season testing is not always an accurate guide to the Season to come.
  14. Yea, but I want to speculate :tantrum: :p
  15. Indeed. But the kwaka bike has had 3/10ths of f all development from last years bike and it was never in contention for the title then. Meanwhile the top two - Yama and Duc have done more than just a new coat of paint. Sure there's the rider to factor in, but I can't see that getting the one of the slowest bikes to the pointy end of the field.
  16. No, it's never gonna happen.
  17. Hmm, strange. I would have thought the cost of running a second bike wouldnt be that much higher, than just to run one. Same logistics required for each, same development generally except now they can't borrow off each other's data? Like if you've spent that much money getting a Kwaka to the track, how much more is a second bike?
  18. Roughly double, I reckon.
  19. They are possibly only putting in a token appearance, as they are contracted to do so.
  20. I agree withe MVrog, ~token~