Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki VN250 Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Expedite, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Recently purchased a VN250 from a local dealership here in Canberra. Had it before i sat my L's so road it around the complex i live in a bit maybe 6 or 7 times with absolutely no problems.

Tried to start it Tuesday and it took about 10 mins before it kicked over and then it was fine after that.

Tried to start it yesterday and it refused to start. Tried again this morning and I have managed to flatten the batteries.

The starter itself seems to work fine, the engine just doesnt catch. Is it most likely just the spark plugs or could it be something more? It will tick over a couple of seconds and on occasion it sort of gets a clunk sound as it tries to turn over and I immediately stop trying to start it. :eek:

2. Are you using the choke?

If so, you must not open the throttle at the same time, otherwise the choke becomes ineffective (doesn't work).

If the bike has sat for some days without running it could take a while - 10 to 20 secs - of cranking with the choke on and no throttle, before it will fire.

Do you have enough fuel? Have a look.

Does it neeed to be on reserve? If the fuel is low, turn it to reserve.

If cranking with the choke on for 30 secs doesn't work, take the choke off and open the throttle just a little.

Are you sure the kill switch is not on?

Remove one spark plug and place it on the engine, with the lead connected, while you crank the bike - you should see a spark jumping across the electrodes. Make sure the metal end of the plug is resting on unpainted metal on the engine - it needs to be earthed.

All the best

Trevor G

PS If it fires but doesn't keep running it sounds like you are out of fuel...

3. Are you using the choke? Yeap been sing the choke.

If so, you must not open the throttle at the same time, otherwise the choke becomes ineffective (doesn't work).

If the bike has sat for some days without running it could take a while - 10 to 20 secs - of cranking with the choke on and no throttle, before it will fire. Was trying for a lot longer :(

Do you have enough fuel? Have a look. Plenty of fuel even topped it up this morning.

Does it neeed to be on reserve? If the fuel is low, turn it to reserve.

If cranking with the choke on for 30 secs doesn't work, take the choke off and open the throttle just a little. Tried that too :(

Are you sure the kill switch is not on? Stand up, bike in neutral, attempting to start, just seems to try and turn over without actually firing. Unless there is a switch im missing. :(

Remove one spark plug and place it on the engine, with the lead connected, while you crank the bike - you should see a spark jumping across the electrodes. Make sure the metal end of the plug is resting on unpainted metal on the engine - it needs to be earthed. Havent tried this, was thinking of getting new spark plugs and trying them anyway?

All the best

Trevor G

PS If it fires but doesn't keep running it sounds like you are out of fuel...This was the first thing i checked, was switched to Reserve, i think the bike was actually delivered in this state as i havent touched the switch as far as i can remember. Have topped up fuel and moved switch to ON though and still no go[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestions Trevor will keep looking into it more, think i migh need to recharge the battery now though. :(

4. Do you have a battery charger? If not I have one you can borrow.

5. Going to pick one up shortly, have to head out to a wedding this arvo so will hopefully spend some time taking a look at it tomorrow. Thanks for offer. :)

6. It's on the right switch assy. Some bikes stop the starter from working as well, others just kill the ignition. It's a red toggle switch, and it should be in the "on" position.

Try the spark plug trick. Remember that you need a good contact between the metal end of the plug and a non-painted (not even clear lacquer) part of the engine.

Cheers

Trevor G

PS Don't leave the starter on for more than 10 secs at a time. You can burn them out. If it's going to fire, it should do so within 5 secs. Wait at least twice as long between starting attempts to let the starter motor cool down.

If the old plugs are wet when you remove them, don't put the new ones in yet.

Turn the engine over with the plugs out and the choke off. Block eack spark plug hole in turn with your finger, but allow room for a very small amount of air to escape. Open the throttle as you do this (with the ignition kill switch "off") as this clears out the excess fuel.

Screw the new plugs in by hand, first, before tightening finally with a spanner.

7. Just pulled the first Spark plug out and is oily and covered in carbon. Have to recharge the battery anyway so not much i can do there. :(

8. Sounds a bit like it is flooded.

Screw the new plugs in finger tight and try to start, without choke.

If no success after 10 secs, unscrew the plugs - if they are wet the cylinders are flooded. You will need to do the finger over the spark plug hole trick I mentioned earlier.

In that case you probably also need to see if the carbs are flooding due to the fuel tap being left on...

If the plugs are dry when you pull them try with choke, but for no more than 10 secs.

Cheers

Trevor G

9. Still waiting on getting a battery.

Bit annoyed with Canberra Motorcycle centre as rang about one, told they had one in stock, left work early to get there before closing to find they didnt actually have one.

Quite amazed in the difference in cost though, CMC quoted $56 but Battery Factory told me it was $125 :eek:

10. It will be a different type of battery.

Yeah there is a big difference in price, there is also a big difference in quality. Not only will a better quality battery last longer but they wont be as temperamental in the cold...an important consideration in Canberra.

Battery Factory know what they are on about, I had a $50 battery come back and bite me in the arse...now that was annoying.

11. No mate, was exactly teh same battery, brand et so quite amazed really. :shock:

12. That is surprising...good thing you called around!

13. Im starting to wonder about CMC, rang up today to be told they cant get the batteries in for a month so rang around and got one for $85 bucks from Battery World instead. Lotta drama over a bloody battery.

If it is more than spark plugs and the battery there you will probably be able to hear me swearing from Yass.....

14. Thank you to everyone for your advice and help, it was sure needed. :)

It was the spark plaugs, 2 new ones, a new battery after i killed the last one and its all good.

Finally got to take it for a quick ride on the roads with my L's this arvo so a very happy camper.