Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki VN250 Eliminator

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by FOB, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Anybody have anything to say about the 1999 Kawasaki VN 250 Eliminator?

If yes what are the good points and what are the bad points

Thinking of buying one for the wife next week, so any feedback would be appreciated
  2. Great bike

Had a 2004 Eliminator and it was a great first bike. 34hp, plenty of presence for a 250 and a low seat for those who didn't get past 175cms.

My only word of caution would be the weight. For a 250 I think it would be getting up there towards being the heaviest? 167Kgs may be a little on the hefty side for a female (and no dis intended).

Brakes would score a 6 - 7 out of 10.

Rest of bike is good with good retained value as these bikes appear to be sought after by restricted riders - especially us bigger blokes with a few more years than the average newbie!

Sorry if this reply is too late, just joined.
  3. The Kawasaki VN250 Eliminator is a cruiser bike with attitude and style. The particular bike under review is the 2000 model, but since 2000, the models haven’t really changed aside from some badge changes.

The VN250 has a 250cc V-twin, liquid cooled engine. It has a 6 speed gearbox, forward control handlbars, front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. The seat is fairly comfortable, I ride this bike every day at the moment around 1.25 hours per day each way to and from work. Reliability is fantastic, with only minor servicing needed so far. This particular model currently has around 31,000 kms on the clock and is still going strong. Currently, this model’s timing chain needs replacing, which is going to cost around $350 AUD, but that’s it.

This is a low rider, with a long wheelbase. It’s a great learners bike, very forgiving and easy to ride. I was concerned with the engine size on the freeway, which is most of my riding, but the 6-speed gearbox really helps with highway cruising and has no problem sitting on 100-110 km/h. The wind tends to move it around a bit, but it’s nothing too major.

Riding it around town, it definitely gets plenty of looks, with many people asking about it. The 2000 model doesn’t have any Kawasaki badging, which makes it a bit of a mystery bike for onlookers. Around Australia, the bike is not all that popular, which can make for some searching if you’re particularly trying to find this bike second hand for a good price. If you can find one, and they ARE around, then you’re going to be very happy and probably end up with a good resale value when it’s time to part with it.

I’m told that most models sold in Australia had speed restrictors fitted. Getting this removed with a days workshop time and around $300 can yield improved power response from the engine which makes it a powerful 250cc motorcycle. The only complaint I have about this bike is the fuel consumption. I seem to get around 170-180 km before having to switch to reserve, and then around 20-30 kms more before having to refuel. This normally wouldn’t be too much of a problem, except that I travel around 150 km per day!

Overall, this is a great bike. If you like the cruiser style, and are after a tough, reliable motorcycle that looks great and performs well, then this is a definite contender. What you may find an even better bonus is the fact that this is a 250cc motorcycle that looks more like a 600. This may work great if you need to work within a 250cc engine size restriction.