Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki Ninja 650RL or Ducati Monster 400/600

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by monaro57, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Hi, my first post on this forum

I'm trying to decide on my first learners bike, I am looking at a mid sized bike as this will be more comfortable for me than a 250.

My riding will be mostly recreational on weekends and a bit during the week, not so much commuting.

I weighing up new vs. old... Kawasaki Ninja 650RL or Ducati Monster 400/600

What are ppls thoughts on reliability, value for money, cost of running, power to weight, resale etc. with these two bikes. I like the idea of V-Twin or P-Twin, hence these 2 bikes.

I'm swinging to the new Kawasaki while the dealer discount is being offered this month, edging to the limit of what I want to spend. That's why I am also considering the Ducati, a nice bike, a little bit older, a bit cheaper but still a mid sized bike. Which of these 2 would be quicker, nicer to ride?

Any comments, suggestions about these bikes would be appreciated.

2. In my opinion the monster 600 looks way better, I have heard the monster does suit shorter people also.
    Plus you gotta love that ducati sound.
    But either way it what you prefer.
  3. Hi there, make yourself known in the Welcome Lounge section to introduce yourself and you may get a few more guy's on here giving their advice.

Not sure how tall, your weight is etc so for my 2cents i'd say go the Monster 400 if you can find a decent one.
  4. I like the look of the Ducati but I'd get the Kwaka, cheaper to maintain in terms of parts and services and I think it has ABS?

If you do go down the Ducati road check the size of the rear tyre one of the models has a weird size which makes it hard to find replacements. Not sure if that's on the 400 or 600
  5. duc is older remember

id go the kwaka due to it being newer, hopefully more reliable and although i think the duc looks better, the kwaka looks pretty good