Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki Ninja 250R or Suzuki GSX650FU

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cubrocks, Dec 22, 2008.

1. I am looking at getting my first bike (on my L's of course) - I have looked at a heap of bikes and have decided that I like the fully flaired bikes.
    I am currently tossing up between the 2009 Ninja 250R and the GSX650FU. My concern with the Ninja is that it might be a little underpowered (reviews I've read say that you really have to push it high in the revs to get it going) and the concern with the GSX650FU is that it is a really big bike weighing 220kg. I'm about 5'10" and 95kg, so I can probably handle the suzuki, but I'd hate to drop it, especially if it's new. The Kawasaki is probably a better bike to learn on being small and less capacity, and I can always upgrade once I'm fully licenced.
    What do you all think?

2. i'd get the ninja.. save your pennies now cause u'll wanna upgrade after a couple weeks on the ninja...

unless you wanna keep the suzuki one you get off your restrictions then i'd go that... but if you have your heart set on other bikes.. like i do.. wanna get 600RR or 1000RR when i get off i saved my pennies now... i got the hyo 250R.. could have got the 650R but saved the 2k and i'll put it towards the bike i really want when im off my Ps!

good luck!
  3. I'd get the 250. A lot easier to learn to ride, yes you have to work them but their not slow, and the SV wouldn't be much quicker (if at all).

The 250 will be a lot easier to throw around and actually learning to be in the right gear for a corner, which you have to do on a 250, will ultimately make you a better rider.

Also as stated previously, the 250 is cheaper, your better off putting the extra cash in the piggy bank for the inevitable upgrade.
  4. Have been riding a VTR250 for 12 months. Top bike but like any 250, probably struggling in the power department. GSX650 has heaps more, but as you said, is a huge bike. A bit big for me I think (5'8" 70kg). Didn't feel comfortable on it at all. You'd probably get used to it though. Kwaka 250 - you'll definately want to upgrade it as soon as you get your full licence. Suzi 650 - maybe not???
  5. Well try and test ride both if possible, from what ive been told from some people the Ninja 250 is a very easy bike to ride, quite nimble/easy to change directions and considered one of the best learner bikes available.
    It just really depends on what you are looking for, cause for me i'd personally would go for the Ninja cause it looks great and would have a pretty strong resale value...
  6. GS500F not an option??? Seems to sit in the middle of both, no?

7. I have the GS500F

Been great fun
  8. So I bought the Ninja 250R - Blue one... Pick it up around 20th of Jan!!!
  9. \

I bought a green 250R

Arrives mid to late january

Looks a treat :)
  10. Nice fellas, gonna have to put up pics when u get em
  11. COngrats!!!