Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki KZ250 rebuild??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by boingk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Hi guys, considering buying a KZ250 ['82 model, 20 thou km's] because it is going cheap. It goes, but the bore is damaged and could use some going over [ie, rebore].

So...reckon it'd be more hassle than its worth? Anyone happen to know what a rebore would cost in parts and labour?

Cheers - boingk
  2. If it really is cheap, in reasonable nick and only needs a rebore, and you're intending to actually ride it rather than make a profit, it's probably worth it as the Z250s were all quite pleasant little bikes.

That assumes you can still get a gasket set and suitable oversize pistons for it.

If it needs a full rebuild, I probably wouldn't bother. Better to spend the same money and effort on a bigger, more desirable machine that will actually be worth something when you've finished.
  3. I'm essentially looking for a rat that will carry me around for a few months while I'm on my L's - something cheap that will carry me around without exploding. I don't care what happens to it after that as I'll be upping my licence and buying something half decent anyways.

So maybe it might be the go, and the hell with the rebore...
  4. just ride it.
  5. MVrog - I'm liking the implications...me on a bike! Haha...although a decent looking Suzuki GS125 is also for sale. Probably has the same amount of power as the stuffed 250 :LOL:
  6. The GS125 is a good bike, I used one for near 2 years. Power wouldn't be close to a 250, but that isnt what I wanted it for. Was a fantastic bike to learn to ride on, and wouldn't be too bad if you dropped it(A lot less money in it than a 250).
    The exhaust rusts out pretty easily however, I had to replace it due to lack of metal to weld up.
  7. A Z 250 would have to be sub $100 to make it worth it. They're reliable and solid, but they're the most boring Z you'lle er buy.
    I'd save teh money and buy a Z 650 for $800 and do that up. Parts abound, and it'll actually be fun to ride.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. typhoon - yeah, its that cheap...and all I really want now is a bike to get me through my L's and possibly give me a bit of mechanical experience. At this point it'll be more of a 'project' than anything, just take it apart and respray then go over the mechanical do-hickies and see what needs to be done.

Essentially, the guy says it runs. True, it doesn't run that well, but thats all I need for now. Lights work, no leaks, pipes seem solid enough.

etelmo - 125's power not close to a 250? Well, the GS150 cranks out a whopping 14ps, whilst the CB250 cranks out something like 20? With more weight? My money would be on the 150 for a few low-speed kicks and good economy. Not to mention their price isn't inflated by learners after a 250 of any description. As a bonus, seeing as the learner limit is 80km/h and I really have to be good fine and licence-wise I should probably go with something thats not too fast :< Anyway, some jerk gave an offer over mine after I left the guy with the 125 so looks olike the Kwaka is the go.
  9. For that money, I'd go for it then.
    Budget a rebored cylinder, new piston and rings, rocker cover, head and base gaskets, a carb rebuild and say $300 for various electrical/ engine parts (I like to replace everything in teh ignition system on an old bike, instant reliability).
    It's a single cylinder I think, so it'll be a great project for jumping in and learning mechanics ona bike.
    If you buy a good workshop manual (and will follow it to teh letter), and know how to use tools, a top end rebuild is definitely a home project. You'll only need to farm out the machining, but that's easy enough to source.
    Just take teh time, do teh top end rebuild right (ie, buy those annoying gaskets etc), go over the suspension (fork oil change, clean and grease swingarm bushes and wheel bearings, bleed/flush brakes).
    Bikes are cheap to bring back into service, especially old Kwakas. Spend on new tyres too if you can, unless the tyres are close to new already. They'll be pretty cheap tyres on that size bike too.
    www.zpower.com.au will be your best bet locally for online shopping for parts, and if they don't have it, they'll know where to get it.
    Another good site is http://www.kzrider.com/ This site is full of guys woh've been working on the various Z's from new, and will know how to fix anything on teh bike, what interchanges between models etc.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Cheers Andrew - excellent reply! I'll see how I go, whatever I decide on. But from what you've layed out for me it doesn't sound too bad to bring something back up to scratch...just so long as I'm prepared to put in some elbow grease eh?

Thanks again - boingk