Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki GPX250 RPM changed unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by POW365, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hi,

I have noticed that my GPX250 has been feeling a bit strange lately.
    At times I feel like it is fighting against me when I want to speed up.
    Biggest thing I noticed today though was that the RPM has changed.
    When I use to maintain a speed of 80km/h my taco read 6000 rpm in top gear (5th).
    Today when at the 80km/h mark my taco read less (around 5500 rpm).
    What has happend?
    Can something have changed on its own?
    Its it some thing to worry about?
  2. Have you had a new rear tyre fitted recently?

The original rear was I think a 130/80/16. But you can fit a 130/90/16 which makes the gearing slightly taller & lowers your RPM at the same speed. Makes it accelerate slightly slower too.
  3. Brake (especially rear) sticking?
    Put it up on a stand and spin the rear wheel while working the rear brake.
  4. My old GPX250 had six gears, not five. That was an '88 model though so I don't know if things have changed since then. Other than that it's odd for the revs at a certain speed to go DOWN.

edit: actually everything I read says six gears for the current one and every one before. Are you sure you didn't just discover top gear?
  5. My mistake. 6th is top gear. I did have a new rear tyre fitted recently. That could well be the reason. I will have to check the rear brake issue. But it does seem more engine related. Sometimes it's a smooth ride and other times there is a lot of vibration and engine braking.
  6. If the new tire is badly balanced it would explain odd vibrations as would a chain with bad tight spots in it or even one spark plug breaking down intermittently or losing fuel supply to one carb.
  7. Thanks. I will have a look at all those things.
  8. Rear brake won't affect speed/RPM ratios, but different profile tyres can, as can changing sprocket sizes (front & rear) & clutch wear. If it was the clutch, I would expect the revs to up, so it's probably not that.

Are you sure it's the same gear?