Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki GPX250 - lower the bike so feet touch ground?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by daedalus, Aug 23, 2009.

1. is it possible to lower my Kawasaki GPX250 so that my feet can better touch the ground?

Can i do it myself or will i have to bring it to a mechanic?

2. Depends how far down you need to go. :grin:

The less you need to lower it, the less expensive it is!
  3. No offence, but how short can you be that a GPX is too tall?

You can get lowered seats, or can cut down the stock one. I assume you can also get the suspension lowered, but it's a pretty basic setup, so not sure.
  4. Hey daedalus;

I'll give you my first hand experiences with my ZZR250 and my now Daytona 675. I'm 163cm weighting 71kg-ish.

When I first got my ZZR I was convinced it was a tall bike, and took about 4-6 months to get used to it. I always stopped one foot down only, but after some time learning to lane split and parking on the footpath (uneven ground) more often I soon worked out how to get both feet down when needed. After some time the ZZR was quite a short bike for me. After about 8 months of riding I started sitting on other peoples bikes and was convinced they were MASSIVE. I couldn't stand them up off the stand, couldn't hold them vertical with one leg tip toeing.

About 12 months into it I was so kindly offered to ride an SV thou and the thing to me was huge. But I did manage to get my right leg down on a tip toe and stop the bike without dropping it. Granted it was only a 10 minute blat but I managed and it was a blast. A few weeks after that I was fortunate enough to ride an '03 R6, again, still tall to me, but I managed.

Up until then everytime I sat on someone's bike, I'd ask for a spot to make sure I didn't drop it etc. However, about the 14month mark I again sat on a few of the bikes I'd sat on in earlier times, and, I was convinced, either I'd grown, or they had all shrunk, no shit.

I was jumping on and off no problems, balancing them no problems, side stand up and down no problems. I was convinced they had all shrunk, because it was so much easier to sit on them. The only hurdle was when I rode a mate's Daytona 675, I couldn't get the side stand up while sitting on it.

Low and behold, I brought one!! :grin: :grin:

Leaving the show room I tee'd up with previously mentioned Daytona owner to kick the side stand up when I climb on because I could not (at the price of mates all having a good laugh!). Then it was straight to my mechanics from the show room to put a little peg on the stand so I could get it up and down.

With some playing around at the mechanics, I discover I can climb on and off the bike with the side stand up. No mod's needed.

After a few days, I discover if I put my right foot close to the inside of the bike, I can just get the side stand down without jumping off first. Uneven ground I have to think about, but can still do it.

Long story short, your body gets stronger, some things stretch and you work it out and get used to it. The GPX is a low bike, my advice from a short arse, without wanting to sound to harsh, is learn and get used to it. It will benefit you later on.

Good luck.

5. thanks for sharing!

my only problem is that i am 159cm 55kg :)

i can get on an off and use the side stand easily, but because my heels dont touch the ground pushing it (engine off) and reversing is quite hard.

i will look into it more and post back, in the meantime if someone has experience with this please post here!
  6. I understand your non-reversing bit, I could reverse my ZZR on a flat no problems but not up hill. The Daytona I can't reverse at all. I simply think ahead and try not to get into a situation where I have to reverse if I can help it.

A ride yesterday, all the bikes park against the curb, I simply park parallel then jump off and push it back in. Just the price I have to pay been short and wanting my Daytona.

I can understand with your height how things might be an issue with your GPX, however, how long to you intend to keep it?? If your going to upgrade in 12 months, maybe leave it, then we you do upgrade, spend your money lowering that?? Just food for thought.

Good luck! :)
  7. I had a gpx.
    I put in a gpx600 rear shock and the back went down a good couple of cm was much stiffer adjustable ect.

Check out the FAQ on ninja250 site on how to do it and which shock fits right in.
  8. just the rear? then wouldnt the rear by too low relative to the front?

how much did that cost? and is it something i can easily do myself?
  9. U can do it yourself just need a good spanner set.

yes the front was heigher, didnt affect the stearing as far as i could notice.

I dont rember how the forks are put together but u could prably cut them and make them shorter to adjust the height of the front if need be. The other was is to make a spacer for the handle bars and push the forks up. or even use clip on/diffrent top triple clamp.

Depending on how your workshop skills are will limit what u can do/pay someone to do

read this
  10. yeah slip the clamps down.
  11. problem solved!

the problem was I was trying to push the bike and reverse with the engine off at first gear while holding down the clutch.

if i do it with the engine off at neutral, or with the engine on and holding down the clutch it is much easier to maneuver! i can even reverse easily now.
  12. love a happy ending. makes HUGE differance doesnt it
  13. LOL. That's a good tip for all new riders. Before you go and lower your bike, consider putting it in neutral first.
  14. hahaha lol

Bet u already starting checking out grinders and welders.