Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ER-6nl thoughts

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by PilgriM, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Heyas,

I am looking at switching from my gs500 to something a bit more modern, I have found the gs500 is a bit too rural for me, I ride for the enjoyment of it, not to commute which seems to be what this bike does very well.

When I was first considering which bike to get it was down to the cb400 & gs500, the choice was eventually made because without having ridden a cb400, it seemed like a lot of money for a bike that I had no idea how it felt to ride.

Anyway I am test riding a cb400 this weekend for a few hours, & I figured I would do some more research into LAM's bikes, in doing so I came across the Kawasaki er-6nl, I like the look of it & the price...

Has anyone here had any experience with this bike, how it goes & what the restrictions actually do to its performance, for instance I have heard the Suzuki gsx650f runs out of steam pretty dramatically when it reaches a certain level of revs.

I understand that this is a learner bike so won't be crazy fast or anything, that wasen't what I was after, I am going to work on organising myself a test ride (if they will let a learner) to see how it goes for me, which is something I really wish I could have done before buying my first bike, so I could have been sure it was right for me..
  2. A friend of mine is on her green P's and has the faired version of the er-6, the restriction is just a physical stop on the throttle, so you can only turn it about a quarter of the way open, and is easily removed with a special screwdriver or tool which you can buy cheap.

She really seems to like her bike and Id buy one if I was restricted.
  3. Personally I wouldnt sell one LAMS bike to buy another, I guess if you have 3 years left on LAMS and you really hate your existing bike its understandable.

I've ridden both bikes you have mentioned, I thought the ER6NL was more agile; however power delivery wasn't all that different. The kwaka is more pretty.

Would I sell GS500 & buy the ER6NL? No, I would just wait to LAMS was finished sell it, then buy a bigger bike.
  4. girls bike
  5. never ridden one - but I do like the appearance ( even if its a kwaka ) of the naked but not the fully faired
  6. There ok. yeah they don't have much grunt. There not meant too. It's not their dance.
    They do possess good ground clearence and above average handling for a bike of this type and price bracket. There great for traffic and getting through it. They will go forever with very little maintenence or fuss.
    If pushed too hard they are under damped for their spring rate though.
  7. Well I have at least 13 months cause the earliest I can do my probby test is 30th of December.

I guess my main issue is with not having test ridden before buying, I am not sure what other bikes feel like to ride, although I have a liking for engines that rev smoothly, think I am going to like Honda's once I get off my restrictions..

I may well find after test riding that I don't see the point in changing & just hang onto the gs for the next year, its not that I hate it, just got that little feeling I may have chosen differently if I had more of a chance to experience different bikes..
  8. There's a loop wire in the diagnostic connector under the seat as well (I own a 2010 ER-6F LAMS, aka Ninja 650RL). Simple case of remove the plug cap with the loop and tape up the connector to waterproof. I'd never suggest someone do that though, as the rider would then be riding a non-lams compliant bike not covered by insurance. :p

As to the OPs question... on the ER-6 the throttle screw restricts amount of throttle movement, loop wire tells the ECU to tame things down a bit so you don't go over that 150kw/t limit.

Assuming the naked version is similar to the faired, you'd find it has plenty of oomph even with the restrictions and is quite a versatile bike. I commute, cruise, tour... and would try screaming through twisties, but there's bugger all down my way! lol
    From a lot of other owner accounts though, even with it's rather basic suspension setup it's at it's best in the corners.

Definitely try to ride one before you buy though, different people have different preferences. Beforehand I had a few riders tell me I should get the GSX650F, but after trialling both the ER-6F was my favorite.
  9. Not a fan due to the restricted throttle stop giving you only quarter turn. Not enough to get a feel for the bike or learn throttle control imo. Stick with the gs or go the cb400.
  10. or just remove the stop...
  11. The GS is an uninspiring design and so can see how you would be tempted by other bikes. By all means take heaps out for a test ride where you can and see if spending that money represents value for you. For my mind though I would agree with others and keep the GS until you are off restrictions.

I had a GS and although it never excited me as much as other bikes I have owned, it was a genuinely solid and reliable all round bike, which is what you really want out of a LAMS bike. There are plenty that have kept their GS way beyond restrictions ending as well. I suppose what I'm trying to say don't be too tempted by the beauty of other bikes at this stage, (and this is coming from a guy who puts design of bike very high his list) if you take something out for a test ride and can honestly say to yourself "this fits me better and will allow me to develop my skills and confidence in a better way" then go for it, otherwise just wait out the 13 months and save your money for an absolute ripper.
  12. Yep this is pretty much where my mind is at after taking some time to think about it, unless another bike stands out like a dogs u know whats I will stick with the gs500..

This is what worries me about "restricted" bikes, plus I am not inclined to try un-restricting it, if I was off my restrictions it would be less of a problem.

So gunna go ahead with the test ride this weekend on the cb400 & see how I go, there are a couple of used cb400's I am having a look at, the full new retail price still makes me worry...
  13. If i were you I'd just stick with the gs for a year which is not long.
    Cb400 has a little more hp than the gs (about 5hp I believe) but hardly worth the change.
    You've only been riding a couple of months so why not use the gs for the next year to learn this riding craft where there's plenty to learn.
    Then you can pick what ever you like and may have a really good idea of the type of bike you need or want.
    By all means test ride other bikes when you can but not sure if it's worth changing one lams to another unless it's a different style of bike as opposed to the gs, cb400 or ER-6 (lams) which are in the same range.
    It would also drive me nuts riding a 600 or greater bike that's been artificially toned down to under 50hp.
    Rather have a non restricted smaller capacity bike.

Soon after I got the gs, my mind set was that I'd be upgrading to a bandit thinking that I'd want a similar bike to the gs but just larger.
    But my riding experience this year has shown me that my perfect bike is the Vstrom or similar.

I've had the gs since xmas last year and it's done everything flawlessly.
    Snowy ride of nearly 2500K in company of a couple of others on liter bikes.
    Trip to Sydney and back via coast.
    Far riders ride, etc.
    Really cheap and easy to maintain especially if you can do your own.
    About to clock 24000K and really couldn't ask any more from a little bike.

Good luck with which ever way you go..
  14. im so glad i live in QLD.... only had to be on LAMS for 1 year :)

Ninja zx636 with green p plate = lol
  15. I got in before all this business started, and was on red P's for a year. Feel kinda sorry for you guys on 3 years provisional, but then again there are some quite decent LAMS bikes out there.

FWIW, I would also stick with the GS500. You can easily fix the front suspensions softness by fitting a shim to the bottom of the fork, so as to give a bit of preload to the springs. I believe 2 x 20c coins works well, as does changing to higher weight oil.

You can also work the 500 fairly hard and it won't go 'boom'. They are actually raced in the historic races in the 'pre-modern' era category, and go quite well. First thing I'd be looking at is an aftermarket pipe/muffler and a performance air filter for the stock airbox from either K&N or Unifilter. A rejet afterwards should se a bit more power in the bike.

And yes, learn better roadcraft before changing up a bike. A year really isn't that long.

Cheers - boingk
  16. Im talking legally... (in relation to the post that said remove the throttke stop)