Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki ER-5 or Suzuki GS500?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by MeltingDOg, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I am thinking of swapping the Titan for either a Kawasaki ER-5 or Suzuki GS500. After some consideration I have decided what I need at this point in my life is a simple commuter that will allow highway use and pillion. The Titan is a great bike but I just don't do it justice riding it to and from work.

Does anyone have any opinion on either of these bikes?

2. Not much difference between the two.

ER-5 is water cooled, not sure if the GS500 is. Potential future issues with the water cooling system on an older bike.
    Both are easy to ride, common amongst the riding schools. If your after a basic hard core commuter bike, you've got the names of two of them. I went for my "R" class on the er-5. (non lams) I had one lesson on it then the instructor booked my test. Never rode the GS500 to compare.
  3. GS500 has always been air cooled...
    Later models had a small oil cooler added..
  4. The GS500F has the oil cooler, and the naked does not have an oil cooler, but it can easily be fitted.
  5. It's unlikely you'll find somebody that has ridden both bikes. The GS500 is more popular than the ER-5 so you are likely to get more GS500 replies (advocates) than ER-5's.

And therein lies your answer. Go with the popular choice, the GS500.

Me, I ride a GS500 and couldn't be happier. Commuting. Twisties. Highway. Hauling it around the garage. We do OK.

Can't answer the pillion question though 'cause the wife won't get on my bike's back. Wish she'd do likewise to me.