Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawasaki Balius Oil leak

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by wilf, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hello to all riders out there.

I am a beginner rider, and have had my L's for two and a half months now. Anyway, I bought this bike, a Kawasaki balius ZR250. Its developed a small leak, I think its just started doing it but to be honest it very small and maybe i just didnt pay attention to it before.

Its coming from the water pump, it seems theres a small hole at the bottom of the water pump, about 5 mm in diameter and when the bike warms up and the oil thins out the oil would seep out from that hole very slowly. I'm talking a few drops.

Its not a major thing but is it suppose to do that? My own instincts say there should be no oil leaking out at all but when I took the water pump off and had a look it almost seems like it was designed to let something out via that little hole.....

Seal between the engine and pump and seal between pump and pump housing is all fine. no leaks there...

Does not leak when oil is cooled down.

Any advice? thanks