Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kawa GPX250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by debbinnie, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hi guys, hoping someone could help me out. Just sold my VT750 found it just to heavy and lost confidence in riding it, came close to dropping it a few times had it for 5 years on only put 6500 on it. Went from 250 virago to it thinking that was the only way out.
    Have come across the Kawa GPX 250 an ER5 500, being only 5ft an 55kg thought these might be the way to go, low seat, lighter and more upright riding position, I understand that I'am giving away the power going back to a 250 but I want to put the fun back into riding. Most of my riding is freeway and some town. They have some good writes ups an have found a few on line, but some of them have quite a few kms on them like 40,000 and up. wondering if any one can tell me if this is still ok, some are older like 2000 and some are 2007 an have over 20000. Is an older bike with few kms on better than a new one with more. say $2,500 for an '03 with 46,000km then $4,500 for for '07 with 22,000km.
    Confused about big services too, some say that there aren't any, some say 6,000, 12,000,18,000 24,000 what do you say. Hope some can help. Thanks Deb

2. I have a 2001 GPX250 with 53,000km on the clock and it's not yet missed a beat. I've had it just over a year and done around 10,000km in that time.

for highway/town it'll be fine. they'll sit at 110km/h quite happily and they're nice and light for commuting through traffic and don't use too much fuel either.

one issue with the GPX will come in terms of road holding when it's windy. it does get blown around a bit when it's gusty. I think they weigh around 140kg wet. I'm 5" 10" and 85Kg and to be honest the gippy is probably a little small physically for me. at 5ft and 55kg you'll be fine and be able to plant your feet no problem.

the only down-side with older 250s is that they are more likely to have a procession of learners riding them, all doing the same learner things. eg rear brake disc will be a lot more worn than the front, etc. so long as it's been looked after and has a service history, "high" kms shouldn't be an issue.

Bear in mind you can get a brand new ninja250 for around the six to seven grand mark. I'd buy one with as low kms as possible.

in terms of servicing, there are some big ones. I can't recall the "major" intervals though; that info's in the service schedule which is at home. I think mine was done at 48,000km which includes valve clearances etc. nothing is really that expensive on the GPX though, another bonus :)
  3. naked 250 too high in seat dept for you? 5' ? god you're jockey, or jocket lol
  4. goddie - Yep, some people are short. Some people are tall. Both need to find bikes that fit them well, easy as that.

debinnie - Newer bikes that fit your bill include the new Kawasaki Ninja 250 (GPX250 with new clothes) and the new Honda CBR250R. The Ninjas are a well-proven platform and will easily cruise on the freeway or cut up the twisties for a bit of fun. The Hondas are quite new indeed and an 'unproven' design, but I would say they will be good reliable bikes as they aren't highly strung or terribly complicated machines.

Older bikes that fit the bill include the Kwaka GPX250, Honda CBR250R/RR, Suzuki Across, Honda CB250 and the Suzuki GS500.

The GPX is a good bike, although some describe them as 'gutless'... generally meaning they deliver very linear cotnrollable power, just not much of it. They are good, reliable machines and perform well for a 250.

The Honda CBR250R/RR are good bikes too, but 4 cylinder instead of two. They rev out to 18k before redline but still make good usable power from 8k upwards. Think of them as a learner legal Supersport. They are very reliable, easy to handle and have a low seat height. Unfortunately many are getting quite old by now (last manufactured 1996, despite what the compliance plate says) and may have been used/abused by many learners over the years before coming to you. Still, they are the fastest learner 250cc bike around with 40~45hp on tap, and still get awesome fuel economy.

The Suzuki Across is much the same design as the CBR250R/RR's in that its a high performance 250cc 4 cylinder bike. They also have the added bonus of an under-tank storage compartment for your gloves/lunch/toolkit/purse etc. They are fast, reliable and well proven but suffer from much the same problems as the 250R's - mainly age and learner-bike syndrome.

The CB250/CD250 is a very old design, going back to the late 60's. It uses an aircooled 250cc twin cylinder engine to put out around 20~25hp with a low seat height and very simple operation. They are good for around town but marginal at best on the freeway. Reliability, ease of maintenance and fuel efficiency are their good points, lowish power and bland styling are the bad ones.

The Suzuki GS500 is another old design that has been continued because of its simple, rugged reliability and lack of need for improvement. It is a larger bike with a 500cc aircooled twin and around 50hp or so. It has conventional seating and easily handles freeway and town duties. They are about as reliable as they come and are also good on fuel - many report 5l/100km or less for town/highway/twisties usage. The main problem you may encounter is that it may be too big for you. Try one and see if its the case as they really are good bikes.

The Honda RVF/VFR400 is another bike that you might want to look at. Smallish, powerful and a heap of fun. They also look trick and handle very well. There are a few for sale here in the 'For Sale' section.

Anywho, thats all off the top of my head. Hope it helps you out.

By the way, service intervals are ALWAYS required for a vehicle to keep it in top working order. Budget an oil change every 6,000km and a filter change & valve clearance check every second oil change (10~12,000km). Some newer/liquid cooled bikes only require clearance checks every 16, 18 or 24,000km but that is only the current crop of new bikes for the most part. The clearance checks are your general 'major service' item, the oil, filters & chain tension you can easily do yourself with only a few simple tools.

Cheers - boingk
  5. I checked the specs on the VT750 and it says 240 odd Kg. Wow, that's pretty heavy. Heavier than my F800ST BMW by quite a bit.
    The small block 750 Moto Guzzis are very compact and well balanced. The Nevada has a particularly low seat height.
    It looks like a cruiser but has Italian suspension and brakes. I trust that Italian electrics doesn't mean what it used to.
    Guzzi quotes 185Kg for the Nevada.
  6. Yeah, if going that route then check out the new Honda VT750S - by all accounts a very pleasant bike. Heavyish at ~230kg or thereabout wet, but light for a cruiser type bike and very low seat height would make riding it easy. It retails for around 9k rideaway, too, which is nice.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: 185kg for the Nevada? That'd be a dry weight. Figure 225kg+ wet.
  7. Hi, Guys thanks for the input. Boingk just sold the VT 750 for that reason of being too heavy, it was a very nice ride and smooth. Have looked at the GS500 and sat on one even with it slightly lowered still a bit too high and the weight still up there at about 200kgs.

Have looked at the Across on line seem to be quite an old bike and most have up to between 30,000 to 60,000 kms on them, specs look ok. would have to go a look at one and see how far forward the handle bars are quoting Goodie a'm a "JOCKET :)" in all areas including the arms would rather be in a more upright position don't know if the back could take leaning too far forward.

Have to go second hand, not enough money for new, so that's were the GPX comes in right price and hopefully the right height and weight need to take one for a ride. I was told that a lot of the new 250s are not made in Japan anymore so workman ship will suffer, there made cheap to suit the market. Anyway thanks heaps to you all for your suggestions will keep on looking into it, I hope to find something to replace the VT soon.

Hope you all have a wonderful, restful chrisy, and thanks again