Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [Kansas] Kansas raises state speed limit to 75MPH (120km/h)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Well looky here:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Well whaddya know. The world didn't crumble into a death toll heap when speed limits were raised.
  2. Won't somebody think of the kittens?

Not sure how much difference that would make here, a lot of the traffic on our freeways seems to only do 95 in a 110 zone anyway...and then slows to 85 at each speed camera.
  3. If that were true, then the publicity telling people to wipe off 5 and the concern over being accidently booked is actually causing a bigger danger on the road than the cameras are trying to eliminate. Differential speed is one of the biggest hazards on major arterial roads.

I know you've probably used some licence to make a point... but just checking, what freeways have 110km/h zones and speed cameras in Melbourne?
  4. Forward thinking...at least Kansas has that.
  5. Can't think of one fwy within 30-35k of the cbd with 110 limits.

But even away from the city, why the new Geelong ring Rd or Eastlink sth of dandenong isn't 110 is crazy.
  6. It's interesting how they quote stats "per 100 million vehicle miles traveled".
  7. How so, akaluke?

It's vehicle-miles is probably the most comparable rate I can think of, so long as the assumption that "the risk of an accident occuring per vehicle-mile is not affected by how many vehicles there are" is a correct assumption.
  8. The Calder Hwy to Bendigo has a 110 limit,
    The Hume has a 110 limit,
    But it is in bits and peices,
    And a fair way out of town before it starts,
  9. And even then it's been hobbled down to 80 (if I remember rightly from three years ago when I was last on it) from 100 between Green Gully Rd and the Diggers Rest Exit because a) numpties are unable to merge whether it be those entering or already on the road and b) the agency responsible for upgrading the road to in a manner preventing the numpties from having to use their brain won't stump up the cash when they can simply change a sign (and prop some speed cameras on it to boot).
  10. Same applies for 100 zones but here's an example:

Just north of Wallan on the Hume with 110 speed zone.

It also applies to any Ford Territory parked on the shoulder or any green Commodore crusing along.
  11. I would like to see a system in place for tollways/freeways where if it's sign posted at 110, peak hour traffic minus 10, normal hours at sign posted speed, and anything after midnight to 5am plus 10
  12. The thread isn't Victoria-specific; heaps of roads in NSW have 110kph limit, including the Hume virtually from Albury to Liverpool.

And, of course, touting that road deaths have gone down since the 55 limit was repealed fails completely to factor in vast improvements in car safety measures in the same period.....
  13. Sometimes reading stories like this I daydream that if I didn't have kids I might apply a for US residency. Then I remember that the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is 35 - 45 mph along it's whole length. That's just wrong.

14. But: NT deaths rose in the first year after they took away the unrestricted speed limit and made it 130.

I've also posted this paper previously about speed limits. http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html
  15. True. But it does infer that speed is not a significant factor by itself (at least up to the new limit).
  16. I simply can't be bothered. Frack me. :roll:
  17. That's been mentioned a lot, but (in a long-gone thread) I grabbed the NT police records off their website, where it shows plain as day that every year the NT road toll fluctuates by an absurd amount, in the order of +/- 50%.

And in 2009 their road toll was 31, down from 75.

Much as I love the idea of being able to choose my own speed of travel on empty roads with good weather conditions, using only a sample size of 2 (2006 vs 2007) when the NT road toll fluctuates so violently just cannot be done.

For a dataset that unstable we'd need to be looking at 10, 20, 30 year trends, not 12 months.
  18. The trouble with NT numbers is the small population. You get a huge noise to signal ratio. With the sort of figures they post, you only need a couple of really messy crashes (or their avoidance) to make a really major percentage difference to the toll. Any sample that can be so much affected by individual events is all but useless without, as Spots suggests, looking at very long term trends.
  19. From my knowledge of the NT, some rigorous Random Breath Testing would do more than anything else to reduce their crash rate.

However, the American studies are over several years across 22 states. Certainly the Montana figures for the period where they had had no speed limit back up the studies.
  20. Tony is right. NT police seem to have a reactive response to things and the low years were preceded by extensive enforcement campaigns.