Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Kangaroo Leather

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ricethief, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Given how good the dollar is at the moment I am looking at getting a 1 piece suit from overseas. Im just wondering is it much lighter than cowhide and ultimately is it worth the premium over cowhide?

2. Good quality kangaroo leather will be sure to put a spring in your step.
  3. Not only is their leather soft & supple, their meat is also delicious.

Win win.

Buying kangaroo leather from os does seem a bit backwards but... I guess everyone gets a cut though!
  4. I know nothing about leathers and not much about kangaroos, but it seems odd to me that no entrepreneurial Aussie company has jumped on to roo leather to make Australian made roo suits from the millions hopping about getting in everyones way...
  5. ...what's that Skip??... watch out for the speed camera ahead??.... 8-[
  6. It comes down to cost, tiger angel suits are expensive as because they are locally made from imported leathers now imagine making the roo leather here then making the suits roo leather suits are expensive and the cost of locally producing them would be prohibitive
  7. would it have pouches instead of pockets??
  8. Darlings I adore my Macropus Rufus from that wonderful tailor-made brand from boot like country.

Imagine my delight to find that they are now being stocked in Old Sydney Town.

Sweeties I recently placed an order for their new Race Gloves - I love the length of their gauntlet

Heaven's above around 4 times lighter and 6 times stronger and because of the grain it stretches 4 ways........
  9. Kangaroo leather is lighter and stronger than the hide of a cow. It has 10 times the tensile strength of cowhide and enables the tanner to split the skin down to make it much more thinner than cow hide. Most cow hide leather 1 piece suits are around 1.3-1.4mm in thickness and weigh around 6kg. A kangaroo leather suit is about 0.9-1.0 mm in thickness and weigh in at about 4 kg. You might not think 2 kg is much, but when it comes to MotoGP every gram counts.
  10. If you have an off would you be rooted?
  11. Kangaroo FTW!
  12. Darling quite the opposite due to it's fabulous anti abrasion qualities.......
  13. No, you'd just bounce along the ground. You'd be up an' kicking, ready to jump back on a bike as soon as you came to a stop.
  14. ...says KOHHOP.. snort!!... :D
  15. That didn't occur to me, since "нор" is pronounced "nor" :p.
  16. Just when I thought I had fully appreciated the many wonders of our favorite marsupial. (I hear you MV, I've had a couple of religious experiences with roo fillet)

Are there particular brands that make these skippy suits?
  17. Darling most top branded Race Suits offer the option......

Sweetie Tailor Made Gimoto floats my boat....
  18. But if it was "hop", & you do indeed bounce back up, it could be a good idea for you. :p:p:p
  19. These puns were bound to happen.
  20. Ohhhhh....sounds a little fancy for moi. I think it's appropriate then that I continue to wear cow until I stop riding like one.