Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Juts one of those mornings

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jd, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Riding to the office this morning, change lanes to pass a slow moving car, go to shift up into the next gear and nothing. Hmm, me thinks, foot must have slipped on the wet gear lever - try to feel for the lever with my foot but still nothing. Okay getting a little worried now so take a quick glance down to see what the problem is. Ahh there's the gear lever, dragging along the road hanging by the linkage mechanism, great.
    Managed to pull over to the side of the road to inspect the problem - seems the bolt holding the mechanism to the frame had decided to work itself loose. Thinking back I remember succesfully changing gears only a couple of block backs so start walking back in search of the wayward part. Fortunately I was able to find it and put everything back together but made me realise perhaps I should be checking the tightness of such things a little more often.

2. Thats a 'what the' moment..:)
  3. I check all the little screws and bolts every time I wash my bike... (last time I washed it I was't marred and I did't have a son aprox 2 years ago)
  4. In a word.......

5. Abso-bloody-lutely.
    Loctite 243 (medium strength, blue)...should be available in 10 liter squirt bottles :D
  6. Dude, seriously, KY JELLY is far far cheaper.

I know it's addictive and all, but the permanancy is a bit worrying :LOL:
  7. jd can you come over to my place and find a bolt i dropped in my garage, buggered if i can find it.........

you must be part Eagle to find a bolt that fell out, back up the road a ways :)
  8. How the hell you find a bolt across two blocks. You must have some of the cleanest streets.
  9. Wise after the event

It's easy to be wise after the event, so let me be; this sort of OMYGOD moment is precisely what regular maintenance, preferably carried out by a qualified mechanic, is all about. Glad it had a happy outcome, anyway, buddy. :)