Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Komunista, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Just wondering how many of you guys/girls out there started on a 250cc bike and stayed on it even after you got your full licence..

and also what is the appeal in getting a 1000cc bike when clearly our roads are not designed for a machine with so much power....

plus i am yet to meet anyone who can ride a 1000cc to its limit.. where as i have met plenty of guys who can ride a 250cc to its limit.. just curious thats all....

Does it have anything to do with the "i have a bigger "bike" attitude and its more beefy and powerful than yours"

2. Why doesn't everyone drive a Barina??

Various reasons people get bigger bikes, if you're enjoying the 250 that's all that matters. Enjoy riding it to its limits.

Many bigger bikes are about the comfort factor, ease of sitting on higher touring speeds all day, comfort for a pillion and plenty of luggage options.

And yeah some bigger bikes are about posing, but who cares, it's their cash.

And whilst I haven't stayed on a 250, I've had four bikes in 18 months (last two LAMS) and came down in cc's each time :p
  3. I got off mine as soon as I could. Not coz my bike was causing me any troubles or that I'd reached its full potential (I'm not a racer), but coz...

1) I could! For me it was a bit of a milestone. I'd made it through my 15 months, learnt heaps, still alive; and this was my reward. Kinda silly, but definitely some truth in it.
    2) Some situations in particular I wanted more power. Not so much that I'd go flying off the back seat, but enough to be able to zip around a car on a country road so I'm not on the wrong side of the road so long. It's also nice to have the choice to accelerate out of a situation, rather than being more limited to swerving or heavy braking.
    3) Not actually a reason why I upgraded, but turns out to be a perk - the handling of it is soooo much better... braking included.

I chose a 600 coz it felt right for me for both physical size as well as power. However, put a larger person on the same bike and it might not be supportive enough and could lose a lot of power. +1 to Toecutter's reasons for a litre bike.
  4. i actually have a few mates that have kept there 250cc bikes, two main reason, they don't have the money to get a 600 lol, or they kept it as a project bike(something they learnt on mechanically & put alot of money into)

i'm personally gona upgrade as soon as i can, i think you'll understand once you start lane splitting to the front of lights alot more & when you want to do wheelies without having to pickup the bike lol,

i'm gona be keeping my cbr250rr or buying anther as a project bike though
  5. ...and what happens when you reach a bike's limit on the road? :LOL: It doesn't hurt to have a bit left :)
  6. I'm still on my Virago and I'll prolly end up keeping it just cos it's a cheap bike to maintain and it's a great commuter.

I took it to the national park the other week and I think a 250cc is probably all you need for riding road twisties (under 120km/h riding on roads) a 250cc is not much of an overtaking machine when you're going at 110-120 but it does make a comfortable ride.

but I'd like to upgrade just cos I want a bigger bike (bigger sounding bike hehe) and with a bigger bike I can spend some bigger money in without having that thought of "It's just a crappy 250cc why spend money on it..)
    and probably do a few track days with it.

I guess alot of it is all because you want to and you can (and maybe you wanna go on the tracks). cos in reality, a 250cc meeets road riding critiria exceptionally well anyways so you can live with your 250cc and not havetoo much issues.

that's my idea
  7. besides the weight and a slightly larger frame, not much difference in getting about on a 250 or 1000cc. Yes of course they have more power and drink more fuel, but for comfort and quality, second to none. Also can usually stay in one gear around the city for the bigger bike, for a much smoother ride.

I only spent a short amount of time on a sub-calibre bike (up to 250cc), mostly during rider training. Post that; have usually always ridden a litre bike, with 600's as great track units.

Honestly, I am not sure about the demonisation of larger bikes. It's only the person in control of the bike that causes a potential problem.

As long as you have mastered emergency braking, counter-steering, u-turning and cornering. All bikes ride the same.

And yes, cash plays a big part of it. :LOL: After all bikes are a recreational vehicle!
  8. what you guys are saying is very true... I dont think i will upgrade my bike.. i love it wayyyy tooo much... just kind of getting sick of idiots on 1000cc or 600cc bikes asking me when im getting a real bike :shock: as far as im concerned i have a real bike.... anyways thanks for the responses.. i was just wondering thats all :)
  9. Physical size will be a big motivator for me.

At 6'4" and 220lbs, the RGV is a bit cramped for my likings. Ill be upgrading to a Gixxer, probably a 600, maybe ill go the whole hog to a thou.
  10. I'd been wanting a bike since I got my learners when I was 17 so if I had of got one then, it would have been a 250 (because of restrictions). As it turned out I had to wait until I was 25 till I could afford to put some money towards a bike and because of the qride system in qld, I had the choice to go straight to a litre.

For me I wanted power. My brother had a 2 stroke 250 and that was gutless enough so I rode some bikes and liked the torque of the litre bike so I got one.

So to answer your question I started on a litre, but I know a few people that have kept their 250 when they upgraded mostly for sentemental reasons (It means more to them than the few grand they would get for it).

I would say go out and ride a big bike when you can and then you will understand why people like them.
  11. I still have my learners bike but I still use it for dirt.
    I got the 750 because a 600 wasn't enough power for my body size and the thou was to much of a bike.
  12. Bigger bikes help much up for a lack of skill. :cool:

Some of us can't corner for shit you know.
  13. Not really. Big bikes mean there's no excuse for sucking. At least on a 250 people will just say: "It's ok, he doesn't suck, it's just the bike." :LOL:

Personally I prefer the power delivery on the 1000cc bikes. The 600s are all designed to have the tits revved off them, and in some ways are even less usable at our speed limits.
  14. Do you reckon you'll ever trade in for a real bike? [​IMG]

Seriously tho.. 1st part cant answer because I've never owner or ridden
    a twofiddy.

Your post equates to questioning why anyone would buy a ferrari when
    they can buy a holden kingswood.

I actually had a detailed response but deleted it because the more I wrote
    the more I realised how ludicrous the OP is.

Wonder about something worth wondering about mate. [​IMG]
  15. I would never own a small capacity bike again, unless purely commuting on it, because I like to get where I'm going before the rego runs out :LOL:
  16. I want to get a 600 or 1000 RR but ill prob keep my 250rr for either commuting but more likely as a cheep track bike.

Much cheaper to fix and maintain and still alot of fun!

17. mmm i wonder if your mum will ever call me back???
  18. I didn't stay on the 250 after I got my open licence, however, I stayed on the 250 for 2 1/2 years. I didn't bother getting my open licence until I could afford to buy a bigger bike.

I do lots of km's every week, commuting to work and most of it is at 100km/h. I went for a litre bike so that commuting would be less taxing on both me and the bike and also so that Mrs Tree and I could tour on it someday, possibly with a trailer.
  19. Depends on what you are using your bike for. For frequent freeway trip the 1000cc or more is the go - let you cruise at easy without the screaming engine. Bigger bikes normally have larger windshield anyway.
    For weekend blasts and day-to-day rides, probably 600-750cc. The 1000cc is now sleeker and sleeker, so they're not as heavy as they used to be.
  20. I ride my CBR250rr at 100km/hr on the freeway to work everyday. It revs at 10,000rpm but i like it like that! lol