Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just when you thought a Z1300 was big...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by azi, May 11, 2008.

1. I presume this is what Kawasaki and friends get up to when they get bored of making motorcycles....

2. :shock: Holy crap! Thats some serious horses :grin:
  3. We have some pretty decent sized stuff here...

But not quite that big (although the twin superscavenged Ruston is pretty cool!). We do have a few members who are contracted to work on some of these big diesel engines, where the size of the engines requires a certain level of imagination to service and align bearings.

Come and visit one day - learn how to drive a steam roller!

4. I understand that Triumph have hired Wartsila-Sulzer to develop the power unit for their Rocket III replacement :grin: .
  5. Unless I missed it, what wasn't quoted there is the torque figures.

The single pic has been posted before, incidentally, but the detailed pics and commentary are just amazing, thanks :).
  6. So I am to understand this thing can pull the skin off a rice pudding, yes?
  7. Not too hard to work out from this:

If I was pressing the right buttons on my calculator, that works out at 6,984,093 Nm of torque at peak power. Of course, the peak of the torque curve is likely to be a tad higher :grin: .
  8. That's enough not just to pull the skin of a rice pudding, but to pull the rice through the centre of the earth from China and have it cook on the way :LOL:.
  9. I'd like to see the dyno too.

How the hell do you dump 100,000 hp. I suppose you could hook up a generator and feed it into the electricity grid :grin: .
  10. The website states that it's a 2-stroke - even if that's correct, my guess is that it wouldn't sound like Crazy Frog.

"Rooooong dooooooong doooooooong doooooooong dooooooooooooong"
  11. Now that I think about it... all those giant pistons and stuff in this engine we're so impressed with the size of:

... what're the lathes, drills and other tools used to make them like??? :eek:
  12. I've seen inside one of these big suckers while it was in for maintenance, once started unless it is absolutely necessary the engine never stops turning over. It's one weird feeling taking a cover off, and climbing up or down on a ladder inside the block with the bits and pieces still moving next to you.
    Oh sure we shut the fuel off and so on, but they have a secondary motor that cuts in via a clutch that keeps the motor turning over @ approx 5rpm.
    Once psychically stopped its extremely hard to get 300 plus tons of crankshaft and pistons turning again. :shock: :cool:

The modern ships don't even have a gearbox [ transfer case ] nowadays, they have those new fandangaled variable pitch props.

Lets not even go near the numerous auxiliary motors/generators that those ships have as well, as the main propulsion plant.
  13. VTRBob, even you couldn't make a piston ring out of fencing wire, for that sucker.
  14. Yikes, they are some serious machine tools there. Is it any wonder that British engineering was so revered when you see masterpieces like that..
  15. i was born in the wrong century, i was always facinated in victorian era machinery (especially steam engines) i just love the way they never wear out (my dad has a 1902 wallace pillar drill that he still uses everyday)

i suppose it is why i got into mech engineering in the first place, Isombard Kingdom Brunel was always one of my heroes

how far the mighty have fallen :cry:
  16. I guess, but at least the Hinkley Triumphs don't leak oil all over your driveway; Britain traded on its engineering laurels for far longer it spent keeping them up to par.
  17. :shock: Holy *****!

I can't actually get my mind around how something that massive would actually run! You'd need a helluva big bang for one...
  18. I've always liked the giant lathes that have an operator's platform for each tool slide and a big ship's wheel type capstan for adjustment.

I imagine (erroneously of course) the operation to be something like that of a large ship.

"Give me three ten-thousandths of infeed on number three tool!"

"Aye aye sir! Three ten-thousanths on number three!" Spins wheel expertly to correct position.

19. yes I know its a dumb question ....... but how do you start the bugger ?????