Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just when I thought V8 Supercars are boring !

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mickyb V9, Jul 16, 2006.

1. How am I suppose to tell the difference between a VE Commodore and a BA Falcon ? :eek:
    :LOL:

[img:299:158:10a61ec652]http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5188088,00.jpg[/img:10a61ec652]

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,19806942-21822,00.html

2. [img:800:539:dfa54f01df]http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/misc/ford_falcon1.jpg[/img:dfa54f01df]

Spot the falcondoore

3. Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing myself. Bloody ridiculous. All these years spent working on this car, and they build a Falcon.

4. I'd still take the Holden over the Ford any day. :p

5. Aaah good ol' groundless biases! Pointless Patriotism is a wonderful thing :p

6. Yeah, well the race cars are neither Ford NOR Holden, so who cares??

And with petrol tipped to hit $1.50 a litres soon, I hope that Holden and Ford have some big warehouses because these dinosaurs are going to be impossible to sell, even to the fleet and taxi market.....

7. Yeah. I used to be mad about Holdens when I was a teen, but I grew out of it. Out of biases in general, I mean. First car I bought worth more than 10k was a Toyota Supra, and that was a damn fun car! But yeah, fuel prices started to piss me off, so I sold it. Driving a '99 Golf GTI now, and that's awesome on fuel. And fun to boot!

8. so whats changed since the early 90s? they've both been producing pretty much the same car for 15 years now, relying on bias from the days when there WAS actually a difference in their cars to sell stuff today. meh, they're both gunna go down the gurgler once people start paying attention to how much better the japs seem to make cars than we do these days. now if only they could get their heads straight and realise that FWD cars are rubbish, they might take the market completely :roll:

anyways, no-ones made a halfway decent car since the HZ (or WB if you can stand those front ends.... yeeech!) so who cares so who cares how similar the latest batch of falcadores are :LOL:

9. Yeah I was wondering that. There are probably still enough idiots to buy a 'big car' for whatever status they think it brings them. Then there are people actually with caravans etc I guess who might want cars like this for their towing needs? Can't see much else but it just goes with the fools who buy big 4WDs and only use them for getting around town to drop the kids off to school.

Lots of people don't think with their (big) heads when they make purchases :wink:

10.  Top
  11. Last month the Corolla was the top-selling car in Australia, ahead of the previously impregnable Commodore.....

I've got no bias or preference, I drive a company car that is neither F nor H, but I just can't see the traditonal Australian car surviving in this fuel-driven climate. Holden should have spent the 2 billion developing a better mid-range solution than the ghastly Viva/Daewoo and got out of big cars altogether; it's a dead end street.

And for all the "you've got to have power for the caravan" apologists, with fuel the cost it it now, it's cheaper to fly to where you're going, pay for a motel and leave the roads unclogged by snails.......

12. Last month the Corolla was the top-selling car in Australia, ahead of the previously impregnable Commodore.....

I've got no bias or preference, I drive a company car that is neither F nor H, but I just can't see the traditonal Australian car surviving in this fuel-driven climate. Holden should have spent the 2 billion developing a better mid-range solution than the ghastly Viva/Daewoo and got out of big cars altogether; it's a dead end street.

And for all the "you've got to have power for the caravan" apologists, with fuel the cost it it now, it's cheaper to fly to where you're going, pay for a motel and leave the roads unclogged by snails.......

13. just before everyone jumps on the why build something so big, that uses so much fuel, that same question could be pointed at the 1ltr bikes, they would fall into the same boat :roll: What about the mid size families, ok it's fine if you have small kids, a smaller car would would do, but anyone, who was part of a 2-3 children family, i could not think of getting them into a daewoo, hence there will always be a market for the larger car.

It's funy how people's opinion change on what should and shouldn't be built, depending on what they think is nessecary

ps i don't want to start a bike vs car, shit fight either was just pointing out, what alot of people here overlooked

14. You can still quite easily carry three children in a Vectra-sized car powered by a 2.2 litre 4 cylinder engine; you don't need nearly, or more than, 4 litres and six cylinders. The big Aussie car is more of a statement of manhood than a necessity.....

15. I don't think it has been overlooked. A lot of sentiment from here and other bike riders is that the low-mid range of a 600cc class bike doesn't make them traffic/city user friendly as opposed to the torque of a litre bike.

16. The Commondoor looks like a cross between the Astra (or Vectra) and the Falcon.

17. Use for instance the average aussie family with 2-3 teenage kids that go on a yearly camping trip/holiday like most i know.

1. 5 grown people in anything smaller than a falcon over long distance sucks, everyone knows that
    2. Do you really wanna be pulling the trailer round and backing the boat up and down the ramp with a bloody vectra? didnt think so...
    3. With a fully loaded car and trailer/boat even the big aussie sixes are left searching for torque with some of the hills on we have on offer.
    4. Obviously luggage space is a big issue as well in these situations.

Im sure theres a few other good ones too. I think the falcodore is long from dead as there is certainly still a place for it here regardless of fuel prices.

18. read mik's post, as i can't be bothered retyping it :roll: or i take it you never toured the country with your family (or been on any long distance trips 3000+kms road trips)

19. the twins don't have a issues with it low down power, but like a car, different people like diiferent makes/styles of cars/bikes, it's not everyones cup of tea, but i certainly do think that the 6's and 8's have a place in Australia's lifestyle. I can see how some people, could get away with smaller cars (like i do, have a small hatch atm) bu tfo rothers a small car just won't cut the mustard