Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just want to clarify riding techniques/accident avoidance

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by skar6270, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Hi guys, just been riding for last couple of weeks and want to double check a few things i've been doing and reading about before it becomes habit.

1. I've started getting into the habit of popping my knee out when taking faster turns and hanging my butt off the seat a bit just because it feels more natural and feels a bit safer in terms of the bikes ability to turn. Is this a habit that I should get rid of on the street and keep to the track when I have more experience? (i'm not trying to drag my knee at all.. i just feel less twisted doing this if that makes sense).

2. Roundabouts.. I seem to be counterbalancing them in 1st gear when making a right turn (left turns I just lean into the turn in 2nd).. is this alright or should I just take them leaning into the turn in 2nd gear as well.

3. I've compression locked the rear on a straight with no major dramas but these others i'm not sure what to do so could someone tell me if these are correct (picked these up just from reading responses on netrider)

tankslapper - accelerate, light on the bars, pinch tank with knees and raise butt off seat
    hitting bump in turn - light on bars, pinch tank with knees, don't accelerate but just maintain throttle.
    lowside/rear sliding out- wait until upright before accelerating and brake before turn.. if already in a lowside try and get upright and don't reduce brake or throttle (depending on which caused lowside) or you'll highside
    highside - your gone??
    (accidental) stoppie - release front brake then when rear drops re apply
    (accidental) wheelie - reduce acceleration then when nose drops reapply slowly
    brake locks up - release then reapply (while on a straight)

Thanks guys.. sorry for all the questions but if there's already another thread that answers all these could you let me know as I tried searching but couldn't find anything that was definite
  2. Re: Just want to clarify riding techniques/accident avoidanc

I'll just grab two of 'em.

Can do 2nd too, yepyep, no worries. Just depends how fast you're going.

The solution for this one is to 'blip' the throttle as you change down gears, to help match the engine revs to the new gearbox speed, just like in a manual car.

We have lots of threads which discuss blipping.
  3. Thanks a lot for that, i'll definitely have a search for the blipping topics.. yeah it seems similar to heel toeing when i'm driving. I saw one of the topics before but thought that maybe if I was smooth enough with the clutch it might not lock up.
  4. on my 250 i try and take most corners in 2nd because its a 250 if i take the whole corner in 1st it becomes to jumpy with high revs, i think will change this habit when i upgrade to a larger bike but for know i think im doing the right thing.
  5. danniboi, my understanding is that if it's jerky, ride the clutch. Made a world of difference with just 1 hrs practice. Most bikes clutches are fine to ride all day, apparantly.
  6. No need for blipping at this point in time.

Rather spend more time getting to know your bike & what speeds you
    can be at before downgearing without causing lock-up.

Change gear at the right speed & you wont have any lockups nor need
    for blipping. Incorporate that shit once you have more experience & start
    pushing the engine more aggressively.

Good to get into the practice of reducing acceleration by applying rear
    brake instead of the usual automatic reaction one has of releasing throttle.
  7. Bigger bikes are still extremely sensitive to small changes in throttle in 1st gear. 1st gear is a whole lot taller on a big bike, but there's a lot more power too.

Best to use 2nd gear or more to take some of the sensitivity out until you become proficient in precise throttle control. :)
  8. You've been riding a couple of weeks or just thinking about these things for a couple of weeks? I would not be doing any extreme cornerning in the early days of riding.

I don't really want to go into proper technique for hanging off as I don't have a flame retardant suit handy so i'll just fire off a tiny thing that helped me learn proper cornering. *LOOK ON YOUTUBE* :p

seriously its a great resource as you can find videos that explain things better than any forum ever can. I spent a good year reading about cornering till i watched a video on it and could actually see how it's properly done.
  9. Yeah I think I might work on the downshifts first.. its only been on the 2nd --> 1st downshifts, the other gears have been fine. I might try getting out there and just work on downshifting to a stop in a carpark

Oh wow, I was thinking you'd twist of the throttle slowly. I always thought hitting the rear brake unsettles the bike unless your traveling slowly

Haha actually... i've only been riding a couple of weeks now so still inexperienced and definitely haven't hit speeds that would be classed as extreme cornering (feels like it for a learner though hehe). Its just that in the last day or two i've really started to concentrate on what i've been doing whilst cornering. I realised that I have been shifting in the seat.. not hanging off like a douche (so I think) but moving my upper body out to the inside of the turn and popping my knee out slightly (this all just happens without me thinking about it and just feels really fluid while i'm turning)

I was actually doing this during my pre learners and got pulled to the side and told that I was doing something they taught in the advanced course but to pin my knees on the tank for the rest of the lesson. Problem is I tried taking the same turns using that technique yesterday (pinning knees to the tank) when I realised what I was doing.. It works but my problem is staying put in the seat, leaning to the inside and pinning both knees to the tank just feels wrong.. like i'm riding twisted or just trying to use excess force/countersteering. BUT in saying that I find on the slower turns I was pinning my knees to the tank.

What do you reckon? stop it while i'm ahead and wait till I get a lot more experience or is it something that's ok as long as your not trying to slide a knee? As far as i'm concerned whatever you guys say i'll end up doing
  10. My opinion? Just ride. Sit in the seat, put your feet on the pegs and your hands on the bars and ride it. You are overcomplicating things on many levels. Keep your body in line with the bike, downshift at sensible revs, and forget about trying to think things through like recovering slides. Work on positive inputs, making the bike go where you want it to, and general road craft.

11. Re: Just want to clarify riding techniques/accident avoidanc

1. If you feel comfortable doing that then that's fine. Personally I know I tend to move around the bike even at a small lean just because it feels 'right'.

2. Turning right at a roundabouts I suggest; approach in second and scan for traffic, start wide and scan for traffic again, sharp turn and open throttle. However it's going to depend on your skill and experience as to what you're comfortable with.

There's no real right or wrong, just some techniques seem to work better for some than others. Not all techniques will work under differing circumstances, which is where experience comes into play.
  12. Re: Just want to clarify riding techniques/accident avoidanc

Yeah this is what happens to me, it just feels right.. and I guess this goes along with what devotard said. I'll try and give the roundabouts a good go tomorrow during a study break (spent far too much study time on the forums today lol)

btw devotard, thanks for the advice, and yeah your right.. I just need to stop thinking and just get out and ride! which i'm not going to complain about haha. Problem is i'm just one of those people that has to read the instruction manual back to front before doing anything whereas riding is something you learn by doing it. The slides i'd still like to have a basic understanding of what to do before it happens whether that be tomorrow or in 10 years time
  14. Yeh sounds normal enough, I wouldn't be too worried about hugging the tank around corners but when you corner make sure to look through the corner(target fixation is a terrible thing) and I found the most helpful thing for me was using my shoulders to lean through corners. Probably a bit early to be thinking of this but don't try to pull your ass off the seat, the more naturally you move the better. I'm in syd too, more southways but if you want to meet for a ride one weekend just pm me and ill send you my number, I'm all for helping a fellow rider out, i remember how frustrating it was not knowing what is good form and what is likely to send you belly up.
  15. 2 weeks into riding? This is the best advise given to you. Just ride the bike for a few thousand kms.
  16. Oh thanks mate, that would be great. I'll send you a pm when i'm free after exams are over at uni. I've got the two learner sessions coming up but it'd be good to get some one on one advice/tips and just have a ride around a new area

D1300, yeah I plan to just get out riding and not thinking about things too much. The reason i'm asking all this is because i'd like to get out of bad habits as early as possible and just develop good form from the start. I had a friend warn me that once you develop bad form it'll take ages to get out of it which I think has played on my mind a bit.. but yeah i'll wait until I get a bit more experience under my belt before I start worrying about it (just broke the 1000km barrier yesterday which was a good feeling)

p.s guys thanks for all the help with everything, i'm so glad I found this forum because my mates that ride are too far away from me (for now) to meet up so its good to have people to push me in the right direction every so often haha
  17. If it feels right for you, do it.

The best riding style is the one that suits you best and you feel most comfortable with
  18. Just finished exams at uni so I didn't have time to update until now. But everything has definitely improved, cornering technique is a lot better.. still kicking my knee out on the faster tighter turns but the slower/larger radius ones i'm just leaning with the bike and knees on the tank.

I'm finding i'm really enjoying riding and can definitely see myself using it as a commuter until I finish uni. Got a track day planned after I get my P's in a couple of months and do the intermediate and advanced courses. I think I was just trying to ride beyond my experience before which I figured out after I scraped my pegs going around a turn.. I was still a little stoked about that though haha.

This is the tip that has helped me the most. When I was hitting the roundabouts before I was getting worried about the bike stalling and was kicking it into first. But after going to a carpark I found out I could ride it at 10km/hr in 2nd and get a really tight turn for the roundabout just leaning into the turn instead of counterbalancing

The other thing is I spent a while practicing shifting without spinning the rear wheel.. because of the above advice I found this became a non issue as I no longer shift to 1st unless i'm going extremely slow (or about to stop). Got the rev matching down.. not perfected but I can do it fairly smoothly (need to match the revs better.. i'm blipping a bit to much)
  19. I think lowside is when you're already going down. I think that most lowsides are caused by losing the grip of the front in a turn. I have been through one and I'd have to say that I did know something was wrong a split second before it went down and it was too late already. It was just like lean in look through the turn and felt the bike wasnt going straight then,,,wack I get hit by the ground(thats what it felt like). Didnt feel like I could do anything...

As for the slide just hold to the throttle and let the bike do what it wants, it'll eventually straighten up.
  20. Thanks for the advice Sweeris, really appreciate it.

I've just got a few more questions and didn't want to start a new topic for it. Anyway I did the old pacific highway with a mate, and I was following his lines, form etc through the turns (he's very experienced).. going through the chicane was so much fun shifting my weight around on the bike, just felt so smooth. However I found that I was having a couple of worries about the road and at those points I backed up

How do you deal with the tar lines on the road when your already riding over them?, I was trying to find a path through them but sometimes it was unavoidable and at one point my handlebars had a minor headshake.. probably not even that. What I did was to stay light on the bars, and stand on the pegs a bit, just following what I wrote about the headshake/tankslapper in the first post, is this right? I mean it worked but I don't know if I was just lucky

I backed off when I dragged (touched down for a second) my peg feelers because I knew that meant things were starting to get unsafe (for me). I'm just wondering does this apply to the track, what I mean to say is when I go to the track is that lean angle I was at when the pegs dragged the maximum lean angle I can achieve.. i'll be replacing the pegs and removing the centre stand for the track when I go so I won't have this indicator to wake me up.

Oh I guess thats another thing, is it legal to have peg feelers on, on the track? because if it is I will probably just leave them on the first couple of times I go