Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just stick it in and see what happens?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by drewzor, Jan 22, 2008.

1. oil additive (cleans sticky valves etc)
    should I just stick alittle of this oil treatment in?

2. Others on this board may be able to confirm this, however I would think that putting any oil aditives in your bike would be a particularly bad idea.

The reason for this is that your engine oil lubricates your gearbox and your clutch on the fzr250. (Wet type clutch). Your additives may have adverse effects on how well your clutch works, or maybe even damage it beyond repair. I don't think a decent oil will need any additives anyway.

It may not explode, but i don't think it will do your bike any good, or your wallet for that matter.

If you're concerned about this, it may just be a good idea for you to take the bike into a mechanic and get a major service, carb clean and balance done.

The best thing to do is not rush things, do them properly. If you think your bike has some issue that some additive claims to fix, it would be best to do them properly.

3. Most oil additives are basically just kerosene which in theory thins the oil a little and dissolves sludge. In reality it probably does stuff-all and there is the risk it might increase wear on the gearbox and/or mess with the clutch. If there is a sludge problem you're best off draining and flushing the oil channels properly rather than stuffing around with additives I reckon.

4. Wrong.

Grossly over-simplified overstatement. :)

There always has been a legion of additives which make the oil slipperier, and which ruin the clutch at the same time.

Do not use oil additives in a unit gearbox - that's where the gearbox and engine share the same lubricating oil.

I did it years ago to my clutch's peril.

If the engine still runs it dona need no stinkun additif...

Cheers

Trevor G

5. You're right, I'm sorry. I should have said kerosene mixed with a tiny amount of aromatic solvent. Still nothing which should affect the clutch though, other than thinning the oil a little. But grossly overpriced for what you're getting, and it's far better to flush the engine during an oil change than have any gunk dislodged clogging up your oil filter.