Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just putting it out there (Thermo help)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Come across a problem I can't get the answer to. I had one method but that gave me the completely wrong answer.

The question I have is this: is dh = Cp.dT for a constant pressure system only?

2. WTF????

3. :WStupid:
  4. ??? Wow. Complicated thermal dynamics in a motorcycle forum.
  5. There are a few mechanical engineers on here and they may be still fresh enough to remember.

I know that the formula is derived based on constant pressure closed systems, but I'm wondering if can also be applied to open systems
  6. 42 - always 42
  7. thats pretty close to what I got and unfortunately its wrong. It should be closer to 142.
  8. Ah that just means we don't understand the question. (well I sure as hell don't!!!)
  9. yes I saw that. Problem is it doesn't really help me.

Oh well, I'll try and find answers elsewhere.
  10. What about this:

Not that I know anything about thermodynamics ...
  11. yep, I got that. Already had that.

My problem is that in my lecture notes, the lecturer used that formula in a turbine compressor analysis which is an open system application and almost by definition not constant pressure. After trying to do something similar, I've not found the answer I should have. To make things more generally annoying, the same formula gave me the correct answer in a diffuser analysis which is also open system :-s
  12. Maybe the person who wrote the question / answer made an assumption of constant pressure?

On second thoughts, I think the_blacke was onto something ...
  13. Never mind, crisis avoided. After telling plenty of people that the textbook is usually right and they are usually wrong, I should have listened to my own advice. I had a mistake in the units. At least my initial question got answered in solving the problem.
  14. I still haven't got a clue.......:?
  15. naaah its all bullshit Lilley, after you graduate if you want information like that you will simply ring up a Compressor supplier and ask em to size a compressor for your application....... JOB DONE

Engineering....... the art of making educated guesses

16. that wont go down to well in an exam
  17. Well, I'm a mech and I can't bloody remember, if I ever knew.

I was always a bit shy of Thermodynamics. Anything with that many assumptions, approximations and partial differentials has no business considering itself a proper engineering subject :grin:.

The main thing to remember is that, out in real engineering, there are very few problems that cannot be approximated as either a simply supported beam or one dimensional flow :grin:.
  18. I thought that was what engineering was all about. ;)

Thats good to know because I havn't gone past them yet. Thermofluids starts next semester, further solids and mechanics - next year.
  19. dh = Cp.dT = left glove first