Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just had major service - Would you go back?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by kilo86, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Hi all. I Just had a major service done on my Spada. However, there were a few issues. One of the pistons in my rear brake had siezed and the mechanic had to order a replacement, but it took a week and a half. Is this normal (I did'nt mind so much because my bike is 20 years old)?

I got it back after what felt like an eternity (you don't know what you miss til it's gone), but it wouldn't start it. The mechanic got it started but I could tell right away from the idle something was wrong. It wouldn't sit on idle without stalling. He said he adjusted the idle and readjusted it and said it should get better once warmed up. So I went to take off and.......

NOTHING! the power was not there. I was twisting the throttle right back and struggling to go 20km/h. I tried to do a u-turn but stalled it 2 times it was that underpowered. I managed to get it back to him and explain it so he gave it a check over.

After about 3 mins of looking he saw the problem. He said "I had the young bloke put the tank back on and he's put the wrong hose on". The vacuum hose for the air was put on the wrong inlet so essentially the engine was starved of air. As soon as he put it on right, and started it, it's fine.

So far I haven't noticed any other problems. I am unsure of wether to go back for any future services as the price was fairly reasonable ($372 for major). Am I expecting too much? I don't want to name and shame because I have mixed feelings, but I did go to this place from reading a reccomendation from a thread on here albeit a bit old (2006 i think) :? Anyway, thoughts?
  2. I can't tell you the number of times I've had apprentices do stupid (even dangerous) things to my vehicles over the years.
    But what can the shop do? The young blokes have got to start somewhere I suppose. I would at least like to see the workshop manager test the bike before giving it back to you, in these circumstances.

I once had a young bloke knock on my door at home at 9 o'clock at night, because he had worked on my car during the day, and had a panic attack hours later that he mightn't have finished tightening up a hub bolt . So he went back to work, got my details, and came around to double check it rather than let me risk my neck. Wish they were all like that.

I'd go back, but every time they ring you from now on to tell you your bike is ready, I'd ask them if they'd test ridden it yet. Just as a reminder, like.
  3. Thanks mate. I wasn't overly angry about the whole thing, but I guess thats something I will look out for next time, to make sure they test ride it. As you said, the apprentice has to start somewhere, but as long as the tradey is looking over his shoulder for these things I don't mind.
  4. Week and a half isn't bad at all at times.

Honest mistake by the apprentice. Don't take your bike to one.
  5. $372 buys plenty of good tools. I am a believer in self sufficiency, partly because whenever I take something somewhere to be done it is done incorrectly or badly or both.

Example. Took a cylinder for 1st oversize to a particular Yamaha dealership still with most of the base gasket attached. I had been assured that they have a solution for softening it to make removal easier. I thought fine, saves me an hour with a stanley knife blade.

Oversize gets done, and it's plainly obvious that some hamfisted gorilla got happy with a chisel or a screwdriver to remove the base gasket. DOZENS of gouges. Doesn't get much simpler than removing a gasket. I know I would have been cleaner doing the rebuild than they would have been.

Buy tools and learn.
  6. Was the quote priced at apprentice rates? If they got an apprentice to do parts of the work, I'd expect to see different labour rates. Yes, I know I am living in a dream World, but seriously, if they are charging normal rates then I'd expect a trained and qualified mechanic to do the work or at least be fully supervising the trainee.

As for 'what can they do'? Well, the can supervise the apprentice correctly for a start. It's a cop out to blame the apprentice (if that is indeed who actually made the mistake) when the person supervising the apprentice was really to blame.
  7. if you like the guy yes. he owes you now and you could build up a decent relationship with him and it is usually beneficial if he thinks of you as a regular customer.
  8. It's not so much that they did something wrong, it can happen at any mechanics.

I'd be more worried that the senior mechanic didn't check the apprentice's work, then road test after all the work was done - and when you had problems starting it he fobbed you off rather than taking it back in and sorting it out.
  9. I agree - dont go back. that seems rather slack which is no doubt indicative of the general approach they take. after 400 bucks for a service and it wont start---hello???
  10. that wouldnt happen to be Trevor Jordan would it?
  11. BAM! And the problem is gone!

Definite believer in self servicing.

- boingk
  12. :grin: No it wasn't Trevor Jordan.

Yeah probably the most disappointing part was them not checking the bike before I rode. I remember a thread recently on here somewhere about a bloke getting his bike back without it being checked and coming to grief. I know it's still my responsibility though.

Yeah I definitely will be doing along these lines in the future, it was just I was short of time at the moment, and being my first service since purchase I wanted to know where I was at with my bike. I've already spotted heaps of things on here I want to try someday on my bike, and some pretty tasty tools I want in the future So I think that is the route for now on, and my bike is a great learners bike for that aspect