Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just got new tyres

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Tack, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I just got new tyres on the bike and i have read and was told by the people that fitted the tyres that it takes about 100 k to get the mould release stuff off the tyre and take it easy until then!

I didn't think much about this except "I gotta take it easy!". The question was "how easy???". I was riding it back and thought the tyres felt real good. The road is wet and greasy in places which made me a bit more cautious. Then I wondered "how" the release stuff gets taken off the sides of the tyre...the parts that don't normally touch the ground in city riding? I'm talking about the tread area that doesn't normally touch the road surface unless you lean the bike way over in a fast corner? So then I thought..."thats a bit crazy...you gotta lean the bike right over in fast corner and you dunno if it's gunna grip because the release compound stuff is on it!".

So what's the answer to this one???

2. The answer is that they 'normally' scrub/clean the mould release stuff off for you before you even turn a wheel. If any is left on the tyre it is such a small amount that it reduces grip by only a small percentage you don't even notice (most people would only ever use about 70% of a tyre's grip on the road anyway).

So violent that our eggs and sperm will rip free from our bodies, unite in midair, and form a sentient glob of malevolence that would kill us all if only it had remembered to self-assemble a skeleton……

3. So I would assume that the people that fitted the tyres didn't take the stuff off if they advised to take it easy???

4. I have seen many people throw their bikes down the road after just having new tyres fitted. Nearly done it myself too!

I always wipe my tyres with a petrol soaked rag to clean any mould release agent, plus I think it partially desolves the surface rubber making it a little sticky and also deglazes the surface slightly. I have read that petrol can damage the rubber but I never believe everything I read.

You still have to take it very slowly when you tip into you first few left & rights; leaning it a little further each corner.

On the track, I give it one left & right corner, by the end of the first lap I am at full-noise (if I've used tyre warmers).

5. Nope, they always have to say that anyway so you can't sue them, don't you just love living in a litigation society? :p

6. From my understanding the heating that a tire experiences from general riding will also aid in scrubbing in the tires - so even though you may not be leaning fully into every corner the general heat will help dissipate some of the mould stuff...

Regardless - taking it somewhat easy on new tires is useful anyways. In the past I have noticed a difference when on brand new tires than the old ones - the bike handles just differently (I have only been through 3 sets of tires, and I have had 3 different brands - all on my old 250...). And taking it easy for the first 100 k's was commonsense to me as it took me that long to get used to them. (track riding is likely to be different in this regards...). Soon to get a new set for my current bike...

7. On the last 3 sets of tyres that I've fitted to my bike, a Honda CBR1000, 2 of them were fitted the day before a 3 day trip away. Both times it was raining. I had no problems with regards to grip, insofar as wet weather riding goes.

I suppose it depends on your bike and how hard you ride it. Giving it buggery on cold tyres, whether new or scrubbed in, is risking an off.

As they say, just take it easy. If there's any crap on them, then a 100 kays of riding will soon clean 'em up.

8. Grease and Tar remover.
    Wipe them with a rag soaked in that stuff and the mould release agent dissapears.

As Martian said, cold/new tyres at full noise will see you airborne.
    Treat them as a new set of brakes, they need to be deglazed before they grip 100%

9. If you have access to race stands or prepared to move your bike a bit, I use those green nylon scourer pads.

A quick couple of wipes with them and all ready to go.

10. as Vic says
    however, some people use Kero or Shellite instead
    to wipe the tyre (but never use Acetone or Lacquer thinners)

oh and Tack
    nice to see you posting here
    did BKwaka fix the 250R?

cheers

11. If you have a decent tyre shop , they will "scrub" your tyres in for you, this involves, while it is being balanced them using a dremmel stone on a air drill and cleaning the usable footprint of the tyre of nibs and the first layer of rubber essentially taking the place of the first 100 odd kays of riding, Be aware that whilst riding most, and i say most people dont use all the tyre during normal riding. That leaves the edges ,so the first time you go for a knee down can result in a new part of the tyre touchin road resulting in less grip than usual, so if you are going to scrub your tyres in , please make sure you do the whole tread area.As for the just use "this cleaner" to do it, Never use anything on your tyre but water,the compound of tyres can be easily affected by solvents and cleaners

Doc