Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just got my L's, and a few bruises to show for it

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by confucius, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I just passed my learners test through HART today. Not sure if any of the posters around here are HART trainers, but I seriously had the best guys during the weekend.

I dropped the bike a few times (hence the bruises!!) and although I was fine, my confidence really took a hammering for the minutes following, but they were extremely encouraging and patient. I even thought about not taking the test and going home, but after carefully listening to their tips, and really thinking about my technique and actions, I somehow managed to pass with relative ease! The interesting thing is that a few of the more "confident" (read: overconfident) ones failed.

Still under no illusions about my readiness for the road though, so I'll be reading these pages a lot. Please don't mind if I don't post much to start off with, I don't think I'll have much to add! More reading and learning.

Unfortunately my cousin stacked his bike a fortnight ago, so now I don't have a bike to practice on before I buy my own or go for my licence.

Big big setback.

Look forward to learning more from everyone.

2. Get a cheap, reliable bike and stick to the back roads for awhile. Nerves really screw with your riding ability (especially cornering) , so you have to build your confidence.
    At least you seem to have the right attitude.

3. ^ +1

and welcome! :)

Bonkers is right about the bike, and I'm adding to get one as soon as you're able bcz, the more opportunities you have to practice, the easier everything becomes ... even if your practice sessions are only short, it's still practice :) Short rides are not so bad anyway, keeps things simple, nerves to a min, and try to finish a practice on a good note: helps keep/build the confidence and enthusiasm for the next ride :)

4. Welcome aboard... :grin:

5. Welcome :)

Don't let your confidence get down, as the others said, get a cheap, reliable bike and practice the basics.
    You'll get there :grin:

6. Welcome and congrats on gaining your L's :beer: .

Bummer on the bruises, but sh!t happens. Better at HART than on the road.

A couple of things I gave my son to ponder before his first ride out in the wild.

1) You're not only riding your vehicle, but you are also "driving" everyone elses around you.

2) Think of the absolute d!ckheads, morons, butt ph#ks, or whatever you want to call them, that you went to school with, the one's that couldn't navigate their way out of a single person tent. They will be driving on the roads.

His next words to me were, damn, that's scary.

That, confucius, should give you an idea of what we, as riders are up against.

Not trying to scare you. Just trying to prepare you.

Now after all that, take care and have fun learning the ropes.

7. Hi and welcome to NR.

Just echoing the advice that has already been given. Take it slowly and practice to develop your skills.

Start off in quiet streets with no traffic and only mix it with traffic when you are confident.

And do not despair, it takes time to build any new skills but you'll get there.

8. buy an R1 :grin:

no dont :LOL:
    welcome aboard.
    take it easy,
    learn from everything,
    and dont forget to smile :)

9. welcome! make sure you get back on the bike, i'm only really familiar with dirt and scramble bikes but confidence is a big part of concentration in general!

the more practice you get the better, and soon it will be like second nature to you, and have fun! :)