Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just got bike yesterday! On the road

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by GuttedEwok, May 30, 2005.

1. Hi all.

Got my learners a few weeks ago, and picked up my bike yesterday. Honda Spada 250, not bad condition. First ride on public roads was a bit sketchy - had to ride from Lilydale all the way across Melbourne back to Glenroy. Hit the Maroondah highway, then jumped on to the Eastern Freeway. I never realised how much you get blown around at freeway speeds. Not sure if it was the new tyres on the bike, but I really felt like the back end of the bike was jumping around behind me a little. The drag your body puts out on a naked bike is unbelieveable.

Anyway, I tried to get off the Eastern at the Chandler highway, and the cops had the bloody thing blocked off - I had to ride through the middle of the city and on to the Tullamarine Freeway to get home. Pretty nerve racking first ride, but I made it home in one piece.

Just a couple of questions:

Is it normal to get blown around a heap when you're doing 100km/h? The bike really didn't feel 100% stable - but that might just be my inexperience.

Also: does the bike behave differently when riding on new tyres - ie. do I have to let them wear in a little?
  2. New tyres are prone to being slippery, about 100 Ks should sort them.
  3. Yes and yes.

Try going over the Sydney Harbour Bridge on a windy day while riding a 140kg naked bike. You'll be blown around alot at 100kph, but it's all part of the fun of motorbikes, esp. naked ones...

If your tyres are brand new then yes, take it easy on them for a while, they'll be a bit slippery...

Oh, and congrats on the fine purchase. The Spada is an excellent bike. What colour???
  4. go the spada!

What colour?

And yes, anything above 80kmph on a spada can feel quite unstable - the soft steering also contributes to the sensation. I just fitted a weathershield to my spada in the hopes of minimising wind resistance when going SupaFast. (not that I go over 80kmph ;) ).
  5. Yeah you tend to get blown around a bit in my experience on mates bikes.

I found that if you just pick a line and roll with it, it doesn't cause a problem. Just don't try to correct every little wobble.
  6. Welcome!!

That was a ambitious first ride even without the detour.
  7. Congrats mate. It took me ages to ride my bike when I first got it. :oops: You did really well!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

:D :D
  8. Nice buy, welcome to the idiotic world of Netriders !

9. Chandler Hwy..you say..
    the stepdaughter of a friend of mine was killed in a car accident (head on)
    on the Chandler Hwy early Sunday morning

thats why the bloody thing was blocked off..... :evil:
  10. Congrats...another Spada on the road.

Should start a SPada Club :wink:
  11. Wind can be a problem, but if it scares you a bit can I suggest that you DON'T try the Westgate until your confidence is up a bit. The combination of the height and the wind can be quite daunting.
  12. Unless I've got really, really used to it, I don't feel the being blown around that much on the Spada no more.

Granted I'm a big bastard as well, and my saddlebags normally have a whole lot of crap in them, which may help a bit.

BTW, hypothetically, the fastest I've managed to get the spada up to was 170 klicks. And that was crouched far over the tank. This is just my imagination, and didn't happen on a beautiful fine summer day down that sweet stretch of straight road down the Royal National Park.
  13. Bloody hell!!!

My condolences Smitty.
  14. flashfire, i've been looking at a weathershield also for the spada. where'd you find one and what's the cost?

GuttedEwok: welcome and congrats, mate!

15. Damn. Condolencesto the family smitty.
  16. Thanks peoples.

It's yellow - i'll post a photo when i take one. Condolences smitty, sorry to hear.
  17. Condolences to the family Smitty. Sad to hear. :(

18. Congrats on getting on the road.. Mate you have balls to tackle that ride first up. GOOD ON YOU !!

And on a sadder note, condolences to smitty, families and friends..
  19. I got it at MCA in the city. It's a National Cycles F18 and cost me about $120 (including flirtation discount). http://www.mcas.com.au/product.php?section=1&prodid=2877 They have others there as well, with slightly less attitude than the F18.
  20. Congrats on the purchase and 1st ride!
    It took me a couple of days to ride on the roads. But started commuting to Broadmeadows straight after that.

I too noticed how much you get blown about on the motorway, but after only 1 week I hardly notice it now.
    I'm even getting used to the wind noise at that speed :)

What I do still find hard is sticking to 100k or there abouts ;)
    Who would have thought that accelerating quick would be so much fun. :LOL:

edit: Oh yeah, Nice colour btw. My VTR is Yellow too! Woot