Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just got a r6 and unable to remove the front wheel....

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sos9394, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I just purchased a 2001 r6 but Im trying to figure out how to remove the front wheel. it loos like it has a hex hole...but don't know what tool n size do I need to remove the axle.
    any advice would be great!

2. why do you want to remove the front wheel???

{not that there's anything wrong with that :LOL:}
  3. think its 19mm from memory. you need to undo that, the pinch bolt on the fork leg and unbolt both brake calipers.
  4. not bad yourself
  5. You might need a bigger percussive adjuster.
  6. It's a Yamaha. they never wear out front tyres.

The bike probably originally came with a large allen key and some tube spanners. One of the tube spanners will fit the allen key as an extension. Oh and yeah there will be some pinch bolts too.
  7. r6 is not a kawasaki. axle hex size is different. crap advice.

fyi make sure that once you have tightened the axle up you bounce the front end up a couple times to get the fork leg to settle in the correct position, then tighten the pinch bolt. some people do this wrong which gives bad feelings in the front end because it is twisted.
  8. Size is different, tool type is the same. You can buy the tool or you can make it. Just providing options. :rolleyes:
  9. my trolling seems unsuccessful :(

its actually not a bad idea if you're only going to be doing it once or twice.