Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just fitted UHF to vehicle

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jeimbo, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Howdy all

Just installed a Uniden UH-089 radio to my car.

Followed some pretty good Internet steps for terminating the co-axial cable into the plug for the head unit.

Went out for a drive around Mill Park / Epping and found the only conversations were filth-ridden payouts by bogans.

Please tell me it's better in the bush (where I'll be using it - my kids didn't need to hear that shite).

Also, anyone know the common truckie and/or conversation channels?

2. 40UHF is road channel for bogan truckies who also talk little but filth.......

Sydney repeaters namely ch1 Hurstville is run by a moron, and all the inept bong smoking retards that inhabit the freq are no better.

Pennant Hills repeater is a bit better, and the illawarra repeater is probably the most civilised...
  3. Out bush it'll be better. Try and keep off channels 5 (Emergency), 22 & 23 (Data), and 35 (Emergency).

Down here in S.E. Melb, channel 40 is the general truck channel (as it is everywhere), it's full of idiots (yes, I'm talking about you Bullbar), but useful for traffic reports. Channel 10 is a better bet, it seems to be inhabited by a better breed than channel 40.

The channel 3 repeater is also full of idiots (actually, I find most of the repeater channels aren't worth listening to).
  4. :LOL: Welcome to open radio! The only differenc out in the bush is that most users speak in English :wink: General conversation is better out here but it can get rough. At least you'll know where the coppers and timber jinkers are.
  5. 40 is highway channel. Apart from the coast Sydney to Tweed there its 29

Once you get away from the local truckies and kids you are fine. I have one in my 4x4 and on my bike.
  6. If you want the traffic updates that you get with the truckies you have to put up with their language. It does ease off as you escape the city as there are fewwer of them around. In the country you tend to get more interstaters rather than delivery drivers.
  7. Actually I find most of the truckers are pretty good. Some bad, yes, but some even self moderate their language, warning others that there are kids listening.

In Melboourne though, a couple of the repeater channels are total wankers: Channel 7 and 3 I think. Just don't scan those channels. You wont ever get anything sensible out of them.

PS: Good touring maps (mostly 4WD maps) will list the local UHF channels on them. You will see signage for what channel to use in some areas as well, especially in remote areas like outback SA.
  8. Yup channel 29 is the go up here..

Nothing like hearing " northbound the is a double up in front of you with his angry lights on doing a number on a little one" :LOL: :LOL:

Translation , there is a cop up in front of you booking a car, so watch your speed for awhile ! :LOL: :p
  9. I think channels 1 - 10 [or at least 1 - 7] are the repeater stations: regularly used, lots of range, and most offensive.

So when you want to choose a channel to use in the bush to communicate with mates, you choose one in the 20's or 30's [usually safe].

To speak to other people? Well you've just got to try raising them on random channels until someone responds.
  10. Ch 1-8 & 31-38 are allocated for repeater use and shouldn't be used for normal use.

There is also two channels (22 & 23 I think) allocated for data transmission which also shouldn't be used for normal use either.

Ch 40 is useless until you get out of suburbia due to the "nuff nuffs" CB has attracted, especially since you can buy a little handheld for $40 these days :evil:

If you are driving in convoy with one or more other vehicles and you don't need to monitor Ch40 you can do what I do and set up a channel with a CTCSS* sub audible tone switched on and unless a radio transmits the correct tone the other radios ignore all other radio traffic on that channel. Mind you, you annoy the hell out of other users on the channel when you keep talking over the top of them without knowing it :roll:

Also while on the subject of cheap handhelds be warned there are two UHF CB standards in Australia, the 477MHz existing one and the 433MHz low powered standard. Many of the cheap handhelds are on the 433 MHz frequency band and cannot talk to 477MHz units so buyer beware.

* CTCSS (Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System)
  11. ccchhhsshhhh ,RODGER that Jeimbo... chhhsschhh.

cchhhhsshhh ,whats ya 20 jeimbo ,OVER cchhssscchhh.

chhhhhsshh ,whats ya vintage ,OVER chchchsshhhcchh.

cchhhccsshh, thats a 10-4 good buddy cchhcssch.

Thats all I can remember for CB talk. :LOL:
  12. Oh gawd I'm having 70's flashbacks.

I was actually a licenced 27MHz CB'er in the mid 80's (VFJ-442) not that the Red Indians ever checked up on me but it did help when I was pulled over for transmitting while mobile (correctly assumed it was me but didn't actually see me do it :roll: ) and the copper demanded to see my Drivers & CB licences obviously expecting to get me for something only to have me hand him a full drivers licence and 5 CB licences :shock: for the various CB's I owned at the time :p

The look on his face was one of those Matercard moments :LOL:
  13. Ha!

Houndog this is hotdog, keep the pedal to the metal and look out for the Kojak with the kodak 10/4. What's your 20...

I remember the CB days of the 70s/80s too.

Heading up to Cobram next week for a 2 night camp on the Murray so will guage its performance on the way.

I bought a 6db aerial for it but can go a taller 9db which apparently will optimise the range and clarity but can be $200+. Mine's the max 5 watts you're allowed so the only performance variable I can see is the aerial - don't think there are power mikes or linear amps anymore?
  14. Turn it on once you get past Kalkallo and monitor Ch40.

You usually hear trucks going in opposite directions saying G'day and updating what's "Over the shoulder", depending on the time of day it can be very quiet but from 6pm at night it's truckie peak hour on Sesame St & the Yellow Brick Rd.

You'll hear BBQ's, double ones, plain wrappers, dog boxes and all the old 80's CB police nicknames being used.

As for 6dB vs 9dB you only receive as good as the other transmitter transmits. For normal mobile highway use a standard 1.5metre whip on the boot is plenty good enough for normal car to car & listening to the trucks.

15. Ayup, thanks for that.

I have the 6db 1.2m on the front guard of the wagon so should do the job. Be interesting to see what I receive on duplex and otherwise when on the Murray.

And remember, if Mama Cass had given Karen Carpenter that last ham sandwich, they'd both be alive today!
  16. There was one of those True Hollywood Story things Poxtel on the Mamas & the Pappas and they hinted that the sandwich story was incorrect but I missed the end of it so didn't catch the "real" cause of Mama Cass's demise (real shame as she had a great voice) but I never let the facts get in the way of a good sig :LOL: