Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just discovered how far I can lean my bike...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Grumply, May 22, 2009.

1. Was riding home from a play this evening, there's a terrific roundabout on the way, and there was no traffic about so I decided to try and push the bike a little into the corner. I had a bit of lean going on, and was feeling pretty happy with things until BAM! :shock: the edge of my boot hit the road.

I wasn't expecting it at all, so I jumped a little in my seat which got the bike starting to slip away underneath me. Pushed my foot down to help straighten her up, and carried on my way. Avoided doing any damage, but gave myself a proper scare. It's time to buy those frame sliders I've been thinking about methinks. And then I think it's off to an advanced riding course at a race track - learn how far I can push the bike where it's safe to do so!

2. so your boot touched the ground, but the bike did not? then you found how far you can lean with poorly positioned feet :p

bring your feet in on the pegs, and facing forwards more. next time, when you lean further, as i can guarantee you will be able to, you might touch the pegs/feelers down.

also consider unless you are actively rolling on the throttle (so you are braking or slowing down in some manner), your suspension will be out of balance and compressed, lowering the bike and reducing clearance. you can lean much further in good conditions when the suspension is balanced and not compressed.

and a personal tip from me, dont practice deep cornering on a roundabout :idea: too much shit left there from other vehicles, i managed to lowside in what seemed to be perfectly fine conditions, while running awesomely sticky tyres. i jsut managed to find a tiny line of oil/diesel, which matched my tiny line of contact rubber as i cranked it over. it was great fun for a corner, until i felt just that bit too far sideways and BAM, sliding down the road, bounce off the armco. one write-off for me. im guessing you dont want that happening to the Duke :p
  3. I think the outer edge of the peg may have touched slightly, but it's too dark to tell. In future, I'll most definitely pull my feet in tighter.

So moving into the corner just accelerating isn't ideal for the suspension? What sort of a balance should I be aiming for - more weight over the rear, the front, or just an even spread between them?

Cheers, after tonight's little incident I think I'll give it a miss from now on. Stick to the nice smooth twisties out of the city instead. Thanks for all of the advice mate, much appreciated.
  4. 60% rear bias. That's achievable with gradual acceleration. Like crank it over then gradually open it up as you go through the corner.

and + 1 for not using roundabouts for practice. I've had a spill on one too :LOL: was trying to get the knee on the deck in the wet and slipped out.

and + 1 for the adv course too. California superbike school is a blast and they will get you punching through corners like a pro.

and with scraping the boot, nibors right, dig your foot right up into the heel guard and move your head past the mirror when you hit the corner.
  5. I've scraped my boot around a corner before just cause it wasn't a difficult corner so i didn't adjust my body position and before i knew it my boot was scraping. Gave me a bit of a fright as i wasn't expectin it but i looked down and my foot was coming out at about 30 degress to the bike
  6. Just re-read this....

Sounds like you're asking a body position question. The first thing to get is smooth throttle control. If you are jerky with the throttle, you won't stay in your ideal suspension bias. Practice getting smooth with the throttle. You will KNOW when you get it right. The bike feels incredibly stable and hitting things won't unsettle the bike.

As far as positioning is concerned, move your arse back so you have more leverage with your legs to grip the tank. and with the feet, keep them tucked up into the heelguards and the ball of your foot should be on the peg.

This should put you in a position that won't let you put weight on the bars. Further than that, i wouldn't worry about positioning for now as leaning back or forward isn't going do much for controlling the bike any better.

The only other thing i can think of is moving your head past the mirror and opening up your hips.

The main thing is you want no input in the bars unless you're actually steering them. You can feel when you are sitting right, and under the right acceleration, the bike handles like a gun. :p

Sorry if i repeated myself :LOL:
  7. According to KC's twist of the wrist, its 40/60 bias

balls of the feet should be on the pegs etc.