Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just dented a car

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by vicj0r, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Three hundred metres from my front door on the way home from work and an old guy in a Laser sedan pulls out in front me from a side street. I'd say the sun was right in the old fellers eyes and he didn't see me until the last minute.

I must have looked at the car a little too long because when my brain does finally come up with a plan I'm not sure it's the best one. I decide to initiate emergency braking, maybe sacrifice the bike and for starters just aim my body at the open space over the guys bonnet. For some reason I just don't even want to look at the wrong side of the road as an option.

Well its all going to plan until I decide that maybe I can steer round the front of the car by inches if I ease off on the front brake, and put some attitude on the bike. Thats when I find out my rear is sliding and I'm wondering if I'm going to make it when I hit the front of the car half a foot short of my target. The bike goes smack and I flip onto the bonnet over the bars. It ends comically cause I'm not hurt and I feel kinda stupid, like maybe I could have ridden that better.

In the wrap up, the emergency steering exercises I did at Q-ride didn't really prepare me for a real emergency situation. Thats just my opinion.

Well I'm really thankful I'm not injured and I feel really badly for riders who have been injured or killed while riding. Be really careful out there.
  2. They never will because they're not done in an emmergency situation. When you practice you know already what's likely to happen and how to deal with it. On the road it's an entirely different situation cause you don't know something is about to happen or how much time and space you're likely to have.

The only thing you can do is keep riding and building your skills while gaining experience and some instictive reactions. :)

I will say though, I find it's best to stick with plan A. If you begin an emergancy brake, then finish it. Don't pull out and go for the counter swerve. Also if you start to swerve, don't shit yourself and reach for the brakes. Changing tactics will often cause the bike to lose traction because with slow little time, you usually end up doing a bit of each. Sharp cornering and the application of brakes should not happen together. :)

I'm glad you're ok though. That's the important part and you've got a great story to tell at the pub. :grin:
  3. If life was a video game you'd have seen some sort of You gained experience message.

4. I agree, but stop playing WoW.
  5. Seany ... its good that I can share this with other riders. I couldn't trust my family or friends to hear the story without taking it right out of perspective. I already get enough ... 'You're crazy riding a bike' as it is.

Yep definately gained XP but only a tiny amount ... getting to Lvl 60 is gonna be a bit stressful at this rate.
  6. i've found that if you get a 40 man raid of <insert highway name here> that you generally get some decent xp. Especially if you manage to down some Twisties ;)
    [/wow reference]
  7. [/quote]Yep definately gained XP but only a tiny amount ... getting to Lvl 60 is gonna be a bit stressful at this rate.[/quote]

err... you definitely do not want to get up to level 60 if it means hitting things. :shock:

But all the best in becoming a better rider! :grin:

Never talk about near misses and acidents to the loved ones that are opposed to you riding.
  8. +1 on seany's comments and the rest of the guys. Mull it over, prctice the important bits, and most of all enjoy the ride and stay safe.
  9. I would have stuck with the braking option as he may have moved forward thinking he could get out of your way then where would you have been?

Glad your ok, hope the bike pulled up as well as you did!
  10. And don't be too hard on yourself either. There are plenty of experienced riders here (me!) who make mistakes and survive. The trick is to take that experience, accept it, think 'what could I have done differently' and commit to not making the same mistake again.
  11. at least you're ok, that's the main thing :)

On my way home today, I had two trucks try to merge onto me, but I was ready. ALWAYS expect the other driver to not see you.
  12. its good to be ok after it. did u get back on? i came off my bike a couple of weeks ago and i reckon the biggest challenge is the mental one.

when i came off, an experienced rider told me that it was good in a way - i now know what it feels like to fall off.

i guess it means i won't repeat the same mistake in order to avoid falling off and hurting again
  13. gratz on lvl. kthxbai.
  14. I had an interesting emergency stop last Wednesday. Shall I share? Okay.

Turning right from the Maroondah Hwy into Springvale road in Melbourne. In the right hand of two right hand turn only lanes. Half a dozen cars in front of me turning right against a green arrow. Directly in front of me is a tradesman's 4X4 with tray back. When he hits the white line of the intersection, the light turns amber. I'm going slow, but accelerating to go around the corner, and figure he is going to continue around. No-one would stop for an amber when they are on the line. WRONG. He stops, with the back of his tray just on the main line, his front nearly past the island between the divided road.

For anyone who doesn't know that intersection, the front position behind the line is all grease and oil. They don't need to re-bitumen that area when they do the road, it has such a build-up of muck that the road hasn't seen daylight for years.

So I'm about in the left hand wheel track on the road, about a car length behind him when he hits the brakes. I hit the brakes. . . the front wheel slides sideways to the right. . . the rear wheel slides out to the left, then swings down the road camber to the right. I'm watching the tray of the truck "zoom" toward me at head height. The bike straightens, and then stops, just short of having my front wheel under his tray. I find I am now in the right wheel track on the road, having slide sideways in the length of a car. Oops, I still have some sideways momentum, so I have to catch the bike before it falls over to the right. I look down in amazement at the oily condition of the road, and wonder how I kept the bike upright. :shock: Maybe trail bike skills still are a good thing.

No acknowledgement from the tradesman driver at all. I don't even know if he knew what he did. However, after turning right on the next green arrow, at the next intersection, he hits an another amber and does another hard stop at the lights. I'm not stupid enough to be behind him this time, and sail on through the amber light, shaking my head at him.

Don't know what he was on, what has happened to him in the past, or how many points he has on his license, but I hope I never meet him again. Trying to obey the letter of the law is a dangerous thing, for yourself and those around you.

As to what to do when it all goes pear shaped. It's all down to instinct. About all you consciously do is recognise the danger and need to stop/swerve/avoid danger. Then you are in emergency response mode. I guess you need to have a certain level of skills, a certain level of practise, including experience of real emergency stops. I've had quite a few in my time, luckily they have nearly all worked out well. :grin:

Ride safe.
  15. No doubt about it ... I think dirtbike skills would have helped me out in my incident. Once I broke traction ... and that seems to be a facor in a lot of incidents the only thing that could have helped me was experience with managing slides. My bike is a soft motard so its not too bad for learning on.

LVL up? Motard Elf, Arai XD Helm, Fox Gauntlets and a Suzuki DRZ400SM mount LOLS! :LOL: Stop playing WOW ... get out and ride.
  16. RoderickGI,

Don't take this as a flame, as it is not. :)

If he could stop for the yellow, and from what you mentioned about your distance behind him, it might have been pretty close to red for you would it not?

Not expert rider here by any stetch of the imagination btw :)
  17. Well, I wasn't looking at the arrow when I stopped, but no, it wouldn't have been red by the time I reached the line, if the 4X4 and I had continued at normal speed.

As I said, the light went amber when he hit the line, and I was a car length behind him. He actually stopped mostly past the line, across the pedestrian walkway lines. You shouldn't stop on an amber if you can't stop before the main intersection line.

So I was two car lengths from the line when it went amber. I would not normally stop if a light went amber two cars lengths in front on me, even if there were no cars around me. With cars behind me, I would definitely not stop, as they may not be planning or able to. At the same time, I don't run red lights. The length of time a light is amber is usually (and should be) long enough for vehicles close to the intersection to safely pass though.

I stopped doing hard stops for amber lights after I did one on Bell St., Preston in front of a huge double-B truck. You know, a gravel truck with a trailer in tow? He managed to change lanes and miss my car, but ended up well over the pedestrian lines and into the intersection. I was in a little car, and would have been dead or near it if he hit me. On a motorbike, I would be dead.

Amber lights are warnings, and allow people to clear the intersections safely. Red lights mean stop, at all costs.
  18. I see this happen all the time on that particular intersection. One small tip, please don't take it a flame, never assume that the car driver is going to do what you belive is rational and always expect that they will do the opposite; which the driver did in this case. :)

But if a police officer deems that you could have stopped, then the Amber light is treated like a red light.
  19. Yeah I had an interesting one on Wednesday too... turning right from a right hand turn lane on a narrow-ish single lane road. There is a delivery van in front of me with his rear windscreen blocked with boxes stacked to the brim. I stupidly sat behind him as there was no room to filter to front ( I didn't want to venture onto oncoming lane to get to front) I notice the van's reverse lights come on as a large truck from the left makes a right turn into the path of the van. Yeah he was only trying to accomodate for other vehicles to ease congestion. but had there been traffic behind me and I had nowhere to move I doubt my wee little horn would have any effect in warning him I was there.

Obviously I positioned myself poorly, and the van driver had no way of seeing me. Thankfully I had no cars behind me and was able to roll backwards enough to accomodate. They are out to kill us even when it's unintentional

Now where was that horn upgrade thread...