Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just completed - Stay Upright - Leaner Permit Road Craft Course

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by akaluke, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Today I attended the Leaner Permit Road Craft Course at Stay Upright - Hoppers Crossing Victoria.

The course "has been designed to fine tune the skills learned in the Learner courses. The course gives riders the opportunity to further enhance and practise their skills at realistic road speeds encountered in everyday riding and addresses areas that are not covered in Learner training."

The course is conducted at the Stay Upright centre at Hopper Crossing. They have a closed track which allows riders to practise skills such as cornering, emergency breaking, counter-steering and hill-starts.

The track has standard road markings.

I rode my own bike.

From memory (which is a little flaky, I'm sure I'll forgot some stuff we did and get the order wrong):

We started at 9am with some theory standing around a bike (mounting and dismounting, and some stuff I've forgotten), then moved to the track area.

Our track time started with slow speed manoeuvres in the big concrete area in the centre of the track: slow straight riding, slow S bends, some counter-steering obstacle avoidance and fine-tuning gear changing technique.

Then out onto the track proper doing laps and some slaloming (using counter-steering techniques) around cones down the main straight. This exercise was a bit faster. Probably around 60km/h through the cones for me.

BTW - the track was awesome, some nice variation in curve speeds around the various corners/bends, a corner on a blind crest, a big horseshoe bend and a nice long straight into the long sweeping horseshoe. My speed at the end of the straight was around 80km/h so speeds are much higher than those encountered during the learners course.

During the day (I've forgotten the exact sequence of events) we:
    - Did a short session in the classroom on "road craft" (cornering and lane positions, leaving space, etc, etc).
    - discussed head and body position when cornering (slow and at speed)
    - practised cornering, counter-steering and emergency stops
    - we finished with some discussion around the licence test and practiced the 'licence cornering test'

The best parts of the day, without doubt, were the significant periods of time we spend doing laps of the track, practising the skills we'd discussed.

My cornering became much, much more fluid. Counter-steering clicked, my head and body position improved enormously and so did my position on the road. By the end of the day, I was cornering at a decent speed and feeling much more comfortable than I did at the start of the day. My slow riding improved heaps as well.

For me - the practise was invaluable.

Oh and the course was awesome fun. The track was fantastic. I had a blast. Woot.

I'll be going back for more training once I'm off my Ls.
  2. Money well spent.

Good on yer.
  3. How much was it?

I should probably do something like this.
  4. Cheap. $100.
  5. Do you know whether your bike insurance covers you if you are on a track for a training course? I was reading that you need special track insurance for track days, but some insurance companies will cover you if it is a skills training course (presumably because you are under controlled supervision and actively trying to improve your skills).
  6. Awesome. Sounds like just what I need so I don't hold everyone up on the road everytime we go around a right hand bend.
  7. My insurance covered me.

As long as it's a training organisation accredited with VicRoads, an approved course on a track that's dedicated solely to a training course.

8. Sounds like a really worthwhile course - may have to look in to doing it myself.

Aside from that, how's the new bike going Luke?
  9. Apart from the emergency stop issue...
    Absolutely !@#$ing awesome.

I am having so much fun and just love getting out and riding.

The bike is a dream to ride. Very comfortable, really well handling.
    For a newbie anyway.

I was regularly scraping the floorboards during the course. :)

Mind you I've already got my eye on adding a more powerful, better in the twisties bike when I get off restrictions.
  10. Unreal, that's great to hear!

The course sounds like it'd be really useful. I should probably look at doing it sooner rather than later, before bad habits start forming!

Looking at worst case scenario and insurance doesn't cover me for the course - do they have bikes available for participants to use?

(BTW, it's Nikki here - from Stage III)
  11. An extra $100 to use one of their bikes.
  12. well that sound like what i would like to do'' i realy need the help
  13. I completed this course yesterday, and have to say it was one of the most worthwhile courses I have attended in a long time!

I've been riding for about 2 months, and found that this course really helped with a range of skills such as slow speed manoeuvring (like U-turns), counter steering, and then higher speed cornering, all things which the learners course only briefly touches on. After riding for a couple of months, and gaining some experience on the road, I found that I had a lot of questions regarding the best way to handle certain situations, conditions etc, so this course was the perfect forum for these.

This course has really helped to increase my confidence, and I am feeling a lot more comfortable on the bike now. The instructors were great and provided a really relaxed learning environment, where participants could progress at their own pace. A thoroughly enjoyable and informative day - I highly recommend this course to any Learners!
  14. Good course and I thin k it should be an essential part of the mandatory Learner's session.
  15. My sentiments exactly. It's just right to do after 1 or 2 months as a learner so that you can experience all the things they told you about when you got your L's but couldn't absorb due to the fact you were just trying to understand the bike i.e. changing gears & throttle control. This cements a few of the very necessary skills - emergency breaking from higher speeds, counter steering from higher speeds and of course my favourite - cornering techniques both slow speeds and higher speeds. Well worth it at $100 for the day. Though I think it's going up to $150 next year, but that would still be worth it.
  16. I am doing the intermediate course for $150.00 I told them I wanted to do the Learner course, but wasn't allowed to so they gave me $50 off the intermediate course. In case anyone wants to do the intermediate at a discount.
  17. That's great. When is it?
  18. Why weren't you allowed to? was it because you already have your full license?
  19. yep because I have my full licence (still on restrictions though) doing the intermediate this Sunday and the weather doesn't look good.