Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Just brought my first bike!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Neckface, Oct 8, 2014.

1. So I got my first bike on the weekend, after having my learners for the past 4 years and not sitting on a bike once! I am a long term car club guy and I love forced induction imports. It is getting crazy expensive to park and drive into the city every day so I thought it was about time I got a bike :)

I went out a couple of weeks ago and did Q-Ride beginners course at Brookside QLD with Ridesmart. We were stuck on crappy Honda 125e's that I felt rather unsteady on but I still loved it.

So this weekend I bit the bullet after doing lots of research on different LAMS bikes I had the following criteria

- Must be comfortable for a big rider - im 193cm and 110kg
    - Must be a bit sporty for the twisties
    - Has to be comfortable for day to day commuting, no crazy forward lean and crazy high rear pegs
    - Priced between 6-9k ride away

I had a few different options that I looked at .... I Was super paranoid of dropping a bike test riding at the dealer so I just went and sat on a bunch and didn't do any test riding

Hyosung GT650 - comfortable to sit on but couldn't get past the stories of average build quality
    Ninja 300 - I felt like I was sitting on a kids bike
    Yamaha MT-07 - I loved this one but a bit out of my budget

I settled with a Honda CBR500R ABS, had a super comfortable seating position for commuting with sport bike looks. A Few people were telling me to stay away from the ABS model ( experienced riders) saying how it actually increases braking distance, but for my piece of mind being a noob rider I wanted to be able to panic and grab a fist full of brake and know the bike will stop! I Actually ended up buying it without test riding it ( see above paranoia )

I have had the bike 5 days now and absolutely love it, I don't regret anything about picking this model. Even after 5 days I have lost 2/3 of my nervousness about riding around. I know have so much to learn, I don't have any close friends who ride bikes so I am going to come to a few meets and see what I can learn. Its great riding around and seeing other riders give you a nod or a wave, half the time im too slow to return but I do smile inside my helmet every time!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Welcome and well done.
  3. Welcome mate. The red ones go faster!!
  4. welcome aboard nice looking bike :]
  5. Welcome Neckface.

A solid choice. You can't go wrong with a Honda.
    I'm 6'6" and have sat on all 3 versions of this bike. They do feel super good for tall blokes. I'll be tossing up between the CB500X and a V-Strom 650 next year.

As a new rider, how do you find the relatively low redline? Most reviewers seem to agree that it's intrusive.
  6. Welcome to Netrider!
  7. Well its the second bike I have ever riden apart from the 125E I did my q Ride on so I dont have much comparison. From what I can feel it has a boatload of torque and it pulls fairly well from low rpm - has no dramas pushing hard from 2-3k rpm. you dont really need to rev this bike high to take advantage of the engines power
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hi Neckface. Nice bike. I'm new to riding too. Got my L's 3 months ago and first bike not long after. I see we have the same great taste.
  9. Welcome to NR...

Nice bike... ;)
  10. Welcome to Netrider..... Red is the best colour for a bike....looks great :)
  11. Hi NeckfaceNeckface, welcome to the forums and life on two wheels :) Nice choice of bike, but I'm biased ;) Love my CBR500RA, very well balanced, stays planted at high speed, reliable, comfortable on long rides, goes the distance between drinks, simply perfect. Enjoy your ride and stay upright!

Edit: just noticed the date of OP.... You'd be very experienced rider by now :ROFLMAO:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Congratulations on your new bike, you will love it.
  13. Good choice on bike. I just picked up a silver cbr500r on Monday. Before this I have been riding a 1999 KLR 250, it's the boyfriends before he brought a vfr800. He told me upon picking up my bike I quote " now you know why you had to learn on a dirt bike" I think I was the only girl in world still kick starting.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome to NetRider and to the wonderful World of Two Wheels!