Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

just been to the great ocean road (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by mr_messy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I did my first GOR ride on Tuesday!
    Had a great time.
    I didn't got nuts or anything like that. And I had to turn back prabably 6km away from Appollo bay due to the roads being very wet. It was raining throughout the day with a bit of sunshine here and there. Decided to turn back when rain got heavier and water was blanketing the roads.

I kept within the posted limits or just over it being my first time and all.
    There were quite a few pot holes and rippled corners but if you're not going double the speed limit, it gives you time to see it and to either go around it or prepare for it.

I was so surprised that I made it back without an accident. I did have quite a few scares though, the major one being a delivery truck coming around my blind coner taking some of my lane.
    Nearly came off the bike as I tried to jump out of my pants in a panic.
    Also went wide a few times.
    I found that if I stayed in a lower gear I had more control of my bike around the corner whereas in a higher gear I tend to go wide unless I brake harder. Didn't seem to be using brakes much just roll off the throttle most of the time to prepare for the corner.

Definitely going back!
  2. Nice work bro! Im headed to mel via GOR in a couple months. Gonna be my first GOR experience too. Cant wait.
    Nice to see you did it no worries, such commitment to ride it in the rain! lol
  3. was already in geelong and itd be a wasted to just turn back after such a long ride

take it easy when you do go