Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Junkyard auction

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Fitty, May 20, 2011.

1. Sometimes I think there are very few things to recommend living in the US. Then something like this pops up...

2. they were rubbish when they were new, and 50 years of rust hasn't upgraded them :LOL:

3. That's the most introspective thing I've ever heard you say hornet...

Oh, you meant the cars?

I need a kleenex...

4. You're crazy.

5. +10000

I'd love to get a 32 shell

6. The Americans have only ever built one memorable or collectable car, and that was the '66 Corvette; the rest had brakes made of shoe-polish lids, springs made of licorice and styling that came straight from an explosion at an art-deco gallery...

7. Apart from the styling that describes the Corvette as well :)

And you've omitted the Studebakers. The Hawk and Hawk GT in particular.

johnson-e.

and the Studebaker Avanti with supercharger and front disc brakes (in 1962)

800px-1963_Studebaker_Avanti_gold_at_Concord_University.JPG

I had the opportunity to buy a Hawk GT and passed it up - it's right up there on my youthful regrets list with the immaculate 500cc Norton ES2 (for $200) I decided against.

8. there are always exceptions, but a quick scan of the pictures showed lots of 50's and 60's junk Yankee iron

remember, I was around when they were current models; we used to describe them as 20 feet of bad taste (not the Raymond Lowey Studiebakers).

9. Mustangs were cool.

10. They were, but they were a lot later than the grey porridge shown in the pictures :LOL:

11. They may have been cool, but they still went around corners like a cow on roller skates...

12. or, as Romsey Quints once put it, like a bull in a wet paddock

I remember the first Mustang I saw, in Hunter Street in Newcastle, in 1964. I got a photo of it too, must be mouldering away in my collection somewhere.

Look, that collection is mostly old American iron that was produced in the hundreds of thousands, and thrown away within years of production in favour of the 'next big thing' from GM or Ford; it looks like what is left after someone's picked it over for the good stuff.

Let's put it this way; a British or European car of the same vintage, and in the same condition, would fetch ten times the value of a 1958 De Soto......

13. if a british car of the same vintage had been left in a field for this length of time, there wouldn't be anything left of it to sell.....

14. :LOL: in most cases, sad but true :LOL:

15. Depends where the field is. Theres no reason a Brit car would be any different rust wise to a USian one.

16. Lol I don't care what they were like in standard form, I just wants the chassis and shell. I'm interested in turning them into street machines or hottodding as the seppos like to call it.

I'd sell a limb for a;
    32-34 ford coupe
    55 ford Anglia
    55-57 chev
    68 camaro

I don't mind the old studes either.

17. 57 Chev station wagon, I can get you one here, selling for $30,000, Victorian Reg, left hand drive,
    Went for a ride in it 2 weeks ago, very nice,

18. Indeed, but I'd say with reference to the '66 Corvette, that the Mustangs of the same era rate also. And surely the Shelby Cobra while we're in the Sixties.

19. I feel that way about a 1970 KPGC10 Nissan skyline gtr with the s20 engine - the original GTR

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/10/06/car-feature-gt-gt-the-ultimate-street-kpgc10.aspx

[​IMG]

20. I have the misfortune to have to drive a 65 mustang (in original mint) at least 2 or 3 times a week, It sways more than a fat lady at a dance, brakes are piss poor and seating position crap, but the sweet note eminating from that 289 small block is a serenade.

Mate runs a 34 Ford 3 window coupe as a wedding hire car, worked to the max and insured for $78 grand replacement value. now that's a nice car