Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Jun 7, 2013] Alpine Rally via Boorowa Yarrangobilly

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Pterodactyl, May 27, 2013.

Alpine Rally via Boorowa
Start Date: Jun 7, 2013 08:00
End Date: Jun 10, 2013 06:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

By the banks of the Yarrangobilly River

Yarrangobilly, NSW 2720

Posted By: Pterodactyl

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Make it a long, long weekend and ride to the Alpine Rally via some good roads, a good pub and then enjoy the balmy climes of the Snowy Region in winter. Survive on Bundy and bullshit, or maybe Wild Turkey and wilder tales. However, before reading on review old similes such as "Cold as a witch's tit, as a Mother-in-Law's kiss, a gravedigger's shovel, or even a Nun's ....", ah wait, let's not go there.

FRI 7th - Sydney to Boorowa
    SAT 8th - Boorowa to Yarrangobilly and join the 44th Alpine Rally (see link below or use Google)

Then Plan A: SUN 9th - Yarrangobilly to Crookwell
    MON 10th – Crookwell to Sydney

Or Plan B: MON 10th – Yarrangobilly to Sydney. Two possibilities, either direct (Highway) or via Crookwell (long day).

Some considerations:

1. The rally is fully self-contained. Everything you need to survive at Yarrangobilly must be carried on your bike. For further details see http://www.bmwtcnsw.org/club/?ai1ec_event=alpine-motorcycle-rally-no-44&instance_id=3
    The BMW bit is a clue. I don’t have a tourer, or even “motorcycle luggage”, and therefore must pack light and smart. Contacts for enquiries are posted on the BMW site.
    2. It should be blindingly obvious that keeping warm and dry is a priority (see forecast and average weather conditions for the Tumut area). This applies both to the ride and the camp. Suitable riding gear and some back up, say, two pairs of gloves etc. I don’t normally take a tent on camp-outs, preferring a “hoochie”. However, on this occasion, I am making an exception, taking a lightweight tent. Rain I can handle but I wouldn’t fancy snow blowing through a hooch. Therefore tent.
    3. Will shop for tucker at Gundagai or Tumut. There will be wood fires but as back up I am taking ye olde Trangia. Some internal heat will be, for me, essential. Think Bundy or maybe the Bird.
    4. At Boorowa and, if required Crookwell, would consider accommodation rather than camp.
    5. I don’t expect a flood of volunteers for this ride but for any interested some coordination and planning would be good. Please PM.

The Ride:

1. Friday meeting point is Maccas at McGraths Hill. 8:00am for 8:30 departure.
    2. Route Maps:
    McGraths Hill to Boorowa - http://goo.gl/maps/Xp3lQ
    Boorowa to Yarrangobilly - http://goo.gl/maps/aQZWZ
    Yarrangobilly to Sydney (via Crookwell) - http://goo.gl/maps/DpCwf
    Yarrangobilly to Sydney (direct) - http://goo.gl/maps/CsOc4

In Conclusion:

If you have done this rally and would offer advice, please do. PM me for further.
  2. I dont want to rain on your parade, But June in Yarrangobilly,
    Snowy Mountains Highway can be under snow overnight, Or just in the day if it gets cold enough,
    You may get trapped in the snow, Cant get out, Bikes dont ride too well in snow and ice,
    But enjoy the ride, They are good roads your travelling on, Just be very very carefull and wary of the weather changes,.
    I have been thru there in early May and its been snowing,

If its been snowing before you get there, they will close the road any way, Its a gate across the road,

Freezing Cold like you wouldnt believe,
    For me riding up there, Its full on Atgatt, just for the bloody cold,
  3. #3 Pterodactyl, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Hey Deadman, no “rain” at all mate. Just some good advice regarding the risks involved. So how to identify and manage those risks? By the way, the below is not directed at you as you seem to have a good handle on it, just my own foolish musings.

Firstly identification. Well, I guess, weather risks and ride risks. The weather risk is obvious and largely, but not entirely, affects the ride risk.

Ride risk mitigation:
    1. The usual ride risks of traffic and road conditions that we face every day mitigated by the application of whatever road craft that remains in my addled grey matter.
    2. Added and unusual risks are produced by the season. Black ice, leaf litter, greater exposure to wildlife (shorter daylight hours) and, if it goes pear-shaped, even snow or very heavy and very cold rain. Being from the great South Land, Deadman, I guess this is bread and butter to you. No tram tracks at least. I would add that I have ridden all the above roads and also the Bogong High Plains road in less than ideal, but not sustained sub-zero, conditions.

Weather risk mitigation:
    1. The right equipment. Ensure that equipment for the ride and camp out is suitable. I have had some considerable experience of extreme weather, minimum equipment (what you can carry) camping and will be prepared. The bike – well a bit constrained there, but mine will pull solidly and with gradual increase in effort from low revs (gentle giant). Unfortunately no ABS. I wouldn’t imagine anything that requires 11000rpm to work would be my choice.
    2. Observation of actual weather conditions and careful analysis of forecast weather. Observation is obvious; if it looks shitty and smells shitty, it probably is shitty. Remember that change can come quickly. At the least don’t proceed. Analysis of forecast weather at defined points is also a good mitigator. Modern weather forecasts for the next 24hrs are reasonably accurate. Satellite photos and infrared, multiple observation points, both terrestrial and non-terrestrial, all fed into sophisticated computer models have reduced the “crystal ball” element of modern forecasting to at least around 30%. Almost just joking, and please, if anyone from BOM reads this, no flaming! There is no way I am going past Boorowa, Gundagai and, lastly, Tumut if the forecast indicates a risk of extreme weather conditions. Inshalla, it will be clear, cold and sunny.
    3. Have some company. This provides more than one head, back up in case of miss-adventure and, importantly, a source of fresh food if things really get desperate.
    4. Have PLAN X, PLAN Y and PLAN Z prepared and ready to execute. PLAN X being to sit in a warm spot at any of the above mentioned points and solve, over a Bundy, the problems of global famine, climate change, world terrorism, the power of the military/industrial/pharma-giant complex or even the really hard stuff like which chain oil, or glove to put on first, or the current Oz political farce. PLAN Y is to halt PLAN X at a suitable pause and leisurely ride some good roads back to Sydney. PLAN Z? Well I guess eff of back to home as soon as possible and have a cup of Horlicks while watching re-runs of Better Homes and Gardens.

Any more of this and I will have to join Blabbs’s Over Thinkers Club.

Cheers and thanks again Deadman.
  4. Your on the ball, Good one,

But you got me with the Horlicks, YUK,

The Bom is good for one day forecasts, I use it to go skiing, I mostly have a good day skiing, But occasionally I get caught out, The BOM is only an educated guess,
    I Look on the computer the night before, If it looks crap weather, I stay home,
    white outs, are not good for skiing or any thing else, You just cant see.

Dry and freezing, no Probs, But snow and ice is another ball game, Entirely,

Enjoy your ride,

5. #5 Pterodactyl, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Ride summary

Yarrangobilly site:

Some hardware:
    (Stood out from the big tourers, adventurers, super bikes etc.)

My house:

Weather: perfect except rain between Lithgow and Bathurst and last day into Sydney

Best road: Boorowa - Crookwell - Goulburn http://goo.gl/maps/a85eJ

Good Watering Holes: Boorowa Hotel. Spud Murphy's Inn, Crookwell (BYO from nearby IGA).

Alpine Rally: Well... I'm in for the next one - rain (snow), hail or shine. Massive variety of bikes, old, new, fast and slow and, of course, entertaining people.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dont forget the rope,a mate went years ago.Had to take the front guard off his Ducati,thick mud.The rope ended up around the rear tyre to act like a snow chain.
    Yes it has snowed a lot in the past.I heard it was -8 in Cooma,still waiting on the first big dump.Watching for those low pressure systems.A few of the Camberra Laverda blokes usualy go.
  7. What? You mean for next year?

All paved road and camp ground fairly solid. How did he get bogged?

It was clear but cold, about -10 according to someone's thermometer.
  8. #8 Zim, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    This was probably 20 or more years back and I am not sure what site it was.I think the site in the Brindabillas has a fairly big hill to negotiate.In those days it was frowned on to ride a chook chaser,dirtbike.And then BMW invented the GS.Lots less bitumen back then and part of the fun was getting in.I myself haven't been,it should be on all riders bucket list.The history of this rally is fasinating,been going for a very long time