Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Jun 15, 2013] Road Warriors Cafe via Galston Gorge

Discussion in 'NSW' started by GJ384, Jun 7, 2013.

3rd Sat Brunch Burn #5 - Road Warriors Cafe via Galston Gorge &...
Start Date: Jun 15, 2013 09:00
End Date: Jun 15, 2013 12:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Road Warriors Cafe
168 Pacific Highway
Mt White, NSW 2250

Posted By: GJ384

Confirmed Attendees: 5
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 5
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. #1 GJ384, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    This is another short one, the reason this time being that myself, Bobby and possibly a few others will be on our way to a Christian Motorcyclists' Association BBQ in Morisset. Please PM me if you'd like to know more about this.

For the "uninitiated," the general idea behind these rides is that we begin with a reasonably early start at one of the Caltex servos on the M4, and head off somewhere for brunch. Afterwards some may choose to go back home the way they came, while others might opt for an extended afternoon ride before they head home. All rides take place on the 3rd Saturday of every month, weather permitting.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you have read and understood the "Supervision" section below - it's different this time.

DATE: Saturday 15 June 2013

DURATION: 2-4 hours (70-150km), including brunch, depending on your start point (see below).

DESTINATION: Road Warriors Cafe, Mt White ( http://goo.gl/maps/GKUAU ), via Galston Gorge and Old Pacific Highway. Brunch at 11am, with opportunity for an extended ride afterwards for those who have the time (I expect this will be decided at Road Warriors Cafe over brunch).

1. EASTBOUND Caltex M4 Eastern Creek ( http://goo.gl/maps/dfjJe ) - NOT the go-karts side - meet 8-8.15am for 8.30am departure.
    2. Dural McDonald's ( http://goo.gl/maps/GlEqm ) - meet 9-9.15am for 9.30am departure.
    3. BP Asquith ( http://goo.gl/maps/WZEqA ) - meet 9.45-10am for 10.15am departure.

Anyone - these rides are learner friendly and all are welcome - the only rule is no idiots. By that I mean we stick to the speed limit, there will be no wheelies or dangerous/reckless riding, and if you want to overtake you do so when safe in the next lane to the right - not over unbroken white lines, not on the left, and not within the same lane as the person you're overtaking.

Note however that some parts of this ride will be on roads which have posted limits above 80km/h, and some learners might not be comfortable on those roads given the faster other traffic which might be around. You must ride your own ride - do not try to keep up with others if you're not comfortable going as fast as they are.

This is a supervised ride - please make sure you understand the "Supervision" section below. If at any time you're feeling pressured by faster vehicles behind you, just find a safe spot to pull over and allow them to pass. The last rider in the group will catch up and wait with you until you're ready to get back on the road again.

ROUTE ( http://goo.gl/maps/frSg8 )
    8.00am - Eastern Creek group meets at M4 Caltex EASTBOUND at Eastern Creek ( http://goo.gl/maps/dfjJe )
    8.30am - depart M4 Caltex
    - take Reservoir Rd exit
    - left at Sunnyholt Rd
    - left at Old Windsor Rd
    - right at Samantha Riley Dr
    - left at Old Northern Rd

9.15am - arrive at Dural McDonalds at New Line Rd roundabout ( http://goo.gl/maps/GlEqm )
    9.30am - depart Dural McDonalds and continue up Old Northern Rd
    - right at Galston Rd
    - left at Pacific Highway

10.00am - arrive at BP Asquith ( http://goo.gl/maps/WZEqA )
    10.15am - depart BP Asquith and continue up Pacific Highway
    10.45am - brunch at Road Warriors Cafe, 168 Pacific Highway Mount White ( http://goo.gl/maps/GKUAU )

After brunch those of us continuing on to Morisset will do so, while the rest of you will be free to do whatever you choose!

Following on from conversations at St Albans on the last ride, I'd like to try something different when it comes to corner markers this time. This is how it's going to work:
    1. The person riding behind the leader is automatically the corner marker.
    2. At an intersection, the corner marker pulls over with their indicator on in the direction of the turn.
    3. The rider who was originally riding behind the corner marker, now being the rider directly behind the leader, is the new corner marker for the next turn.
    4. When the last rider - the TEC - approaches the corner marker, they slow down and wave with one arm high in the air to identify themselves to the corner marker.
    5. The corner marker then sets off again in front of the TEC.

It is the leader's responsibility to ensure he doesn't lose sight of the corner marker in his mirrors, otherwise the corner marker will become lost and so will everyone else. It's everyone else's responsibility to ensure they don't wave at the corner marker, otherwise he'll think you're the TEC!

Please make sure you understand the above before coming on this ride. If you come along you will need to know how it works.

As usual, if the weather is uncertain, I will make a call at 6am and post here to say whether or not the ride is going ahead.

Who is in? As always, suggested changes to the route are always welcome.

Eastbound M4 Caltex - 8.00am for 8.30am depart (5)
    GJ384 / Gareth
    toadsmoker / Nat (NSWRiders)
    Michael91 / Michael (NSWRiders)

Dural McDonalds - 9-9.15am for 9.30am depart (2)
    gs250rr / Gaurav
    Pullman / Damir (NSWRiders)

BP Asquith - 9.45-10am for 10.15am depart (TBA)

Meet point not given (1)
    BOB88R / Bobby
  2. Love to go on this one but, ill be in a secluded 5 star cottage next to a log fire relaxing with the missus!!
    • Like Like x 1

3. Sounds like a much better option given the weather forecast at the moment - 11-18 and rainy! (n)
  4. 1. what is the purpose of all these corner markers? (especially I dont get #2, sorry English is only a second language) I wasnt on last ride so probably missing something.
    2. who is TEC, last bike?
  5. The corner marker stops just before a turn to let the other riders know which way to go. It's very easy for people to get lost on unfamiliar roads, especially in big groups.

TEC stands for "tail end Charlie" - yes, the TEC is the last bike. Once the TEC passes the corner marker, however, the corner marker then becomes the TEC.

Hope that helps!
  6. It's a good corner marking system & the one that should be used for all rides. The TEC system you're suggesting is confusing with the constant changing of the TEC. That job should be assigned to one person at the start of the ride & every rider aware of who it is. The designated TEC would also have the ride leader & maybe some other riders mobile numbers in case of a breakdown or accident.

7. It might be confusing the first time, however with the smaller group that we're expecting this time I think it will be a good opportunity to test it out. The reason I've suggested the rotating corner marker system is because if we only have one corner marker, that person then inevitably has to ride at excessive speeds to overtake the rest of the group before the next corner arrives. This rotating system avoids that - no overtaking is required.
  8. thank you for the explanation guys, now it is clear. Hope the weather will be fine on Saturday!
  9. I'm not talking corner marker Gareth but the TEC. Rotating corner markers is how it should happen. What i'm saying is the designated TEC ensures that the person marking the corner is aware that he/she is the last rider & the corner marker can join the ride again, but ahead of the TEC. One other advantage is that the assigned TEC knows the route well where rotating TEC's might not.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1

10. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I should have read your other message a second time. I completely see where you're coming from now, and that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the feedback.

Let's have one TEC for the whole ride, and use the rotating system for the corner markers only - I'll update the first post shortly.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm a big chance of being at the M4 Caltex Gareth but it all depends on the weather. If i'm not there by 8.30am i'm a definite non starter so please don't wait. After Mt White I intend doing the old road to Somersby, then Mangrove Mt, Wisemans, Lower Portland & home via Penrith.

Anyone else want the extended ride, weather permitting of course.
  12. hi Gareth
    i'm bowing out of tomorrow's ride. there's an unexpected event i have to attend to in the morning. will join you all on the next organised ride.
    hope the weather turns out well for you guys.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. I very much agree with Snapey about having one TEC for the whole ride; it IS DCB (dull, colourless and boring) for the person in that position, but it is a very important part of any ride.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Not so Paul. The best thing I find riding as TEC is being able to drop back when I know we are approaching some good corners then being naughty when I get to them. ;) It's also interesting to watch the antics of our senior riders (read Ulysses).:shock:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I agree with that, Peter, I enjoy being TEC, and have been on nearly all the group rides I've attended. I find it useful to watch the riding skills of the people in front of me and then discuss them when we stop.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Attendance list updated - please check to make sure I've put you down for the right meeting point. A few people haven't said where they'll be meeting us - I'll assume you're coming to the M4 Caltex, but please let me know either way.

Weather forecast for tomorrow has taken a turn for the worse too - looks like we're in for rain. As always, I'll make a call at 6am and post here to say whether or not the ride is going ahead.
  17. Alright folks - the forecast has improved ever so slightly, and I'm going to take the chance. It looks like if we do get rain it will only be a very small amount.

Totally understand if some of you aren't so optimistic, but I'll hopefully see at least some of you at Caltex very soon!
  18. Gareth, I'm going to try to meet you guys at Dural. Hopefully see you there!
  19. thank you guys, it was a pleasant ride!
  20. Great weather, fantastic ride and a good chat with everyone at the road warriors cafe - thanks for organising Gareth.
    I rode back the same way with Damir leading and keeping an eye out so I don't get left behind

Hope to see everyone in the next months ride!