Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jumping out of Gear - Clutch slipping?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Toefa, Aug 20, 2007.

1. On the few occasion lately where i get the pleasure of taking Starlets CBR125 out for a quick thrash, when i get up on the revs in either 5th or 6th (cant rememeber if its both or one in particular) she jumps out of gear.

I have tried backing off and then trying to squeeze the throttle back on slowly, but no go, i need to either click the shifter back up or down the gear again to engage.

Does this sound like the clutch is slipping under the load? Could it be a gearbox issue? Is this a common problem [-o< ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. I know this is not an answer to your question, but every bike I've ever owned has done that, and it's never gotten worse on any bike - I just got used to it.

3. Sure you're being strong enough with the shifter?
  4. Yeah, I think you're not fully engaging the gear when you select it too.
    The GTR will sometimes do this when I shift clutchless (all the time) and I don't hold the shift lever up with pressure long enough for the dogs to engage before I roll throttle back on again.
    It could also be worn dogs, but the bike is not that old?

Regards, Andrew.
  5. Agreed : it happens to me a lot more when I'm justing wearing shoes, than when I've got my boots on with the extra size and force given behind the up-shifting.

Plus, is the gear shifter on tight, or loose (loose and this problem will happen).
  6. Thanks for the replies...

Im not too sure if that could be the case, it happens after i have been in the gear for lets say 30 seconds to a minute? So i would have thought it was well and truly in gear?
  7. It can happen that way mate. My bike wil sometimes do that, I shift, and apply cruise power and all is fine, then if I get on the throttle it can jump into a neutral. Very rarely does it, but it does.
    If it's not riding technique, it's worn gear dogs, and if you don't want to spend up on a box rebuild, you should sell it now.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Thanks mate, i will take the riding technique tip into consideration, cause the bike is brand new. I will keep the gear lever up for a few seconds before releasing the pressure to see if that helps.

9. You just need to apply upward pressure till the gear engages( you'll either feel it through the lever, or just leave pressure on the lever till you are accelerating in that gear).
    Regards, Andrew.