Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Jul 5, 2014] Spanner Day (St Kilda)

Discussion in 'VIC' started by GreyBM, Jun 13, 2014.

Spanner Day
Start Date: Jul 5, 2014 13:00
End Date: Jul 5, 2014 17:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Carpark behind BP Servo, 54 Marine Parade
St Kilda 3182

Posted By: GreyBM

Confirmed Attendees: 18
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Do you know how to carry out routine chain maintenance, change your oil; change an oil filter; flush your brake fluid? Here is your chance to learn how.

Those wonderful folk at MMMTS, Sharlene and Bruce, have offered to let us use their place to hold a Spanner Day. So here is the chance to come along and learn how to do those routine maintenance tasks that you were wondering about.

We will ride to Sharlene and Bruce’s place from our normal Saturday practice venue at the car park behind the BP Servo in Marine Parade St Kilda, leaving about 12:30 pm to get to Sharlene and Bruce’s place about 1:00 pm.

So come along to work on your bike; watch and learn as others work on theirs or just come and socialize.

You need to know what maintenance you want to do and you need to have any parts or consumables (oil, brake fluid and the like). We will supply the tools and the expertise to show you how to do the task.

There will be a sausage sizzle so please post up if you are coming to assist us with catering.

Remember unless we get people with actual jobs to do on their bikes, the day doesn’t work. If you plan to do some work and need expertise, please post up and let us know what you want to do and we can advise if we can assist.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Great idea :)
    Why didn't I think of it :p ?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Want me to bring the van?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I need to flush the brake fluid on both bikes, so I'll be planning to attend.
  5. That depends.... Does it have coffee??? Lol.
  6. Any chance for a valve clearance check,i know it is a bit time consuming not sure of how long it really takes never,tried it myself:woot:
  7. #7 GreyBM, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Can do that. But not sure how you will get two bikes there without a trailer.

Brake fluid needs to be flushed (replaced) about every two years. Some manafacturers will specify it as an annual task. If yours hasn't been done for a bit, this is something others should could plan to do and on the day would be the perfect opportunity.

Also no idea. Probably would need to remove fairings, tank, airfilter and maybe carbs. Could take too long. Do you have a manual to see exactly what is involved? The other issue is that if you need to replace shims, we would need to reassemble to get you home again. Then you would need to remove everything again to replace the shims. Ideally it is a job that you do when you don't need the bike so that if any shims need replacing you can buy them and instal them while everything is apart.

Having said that I assume the bike uses shims and isn't simply adjusting tappets like my bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Actually a big job.
    (quoted from workshop manual)
    Cylinder Head Cover Removal
    • Remove:
    Coolant (Drain, see Coolant Change in the Periodic
    Maintenance chapter)
    Air Switching Valve (see Air Switching Valve Removal)
    Air Suction Valve Cover (see Air Suction Valve Removal)
    Stick Coils (see Stick Coil Removal in the Electrical System
    Water Hose [A]
    Bolts and Bracket [C]
    • Remove:
    Cylinder Head Cover Bolts [A]
    Allow a day! Just to check, not allowing for adjustment. (Cams out etc)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Remember guys n girls , this day is about helping you maintain your bikes with routine maintainence ....
    It's not about major servicing and alike ..

MMMTS will also be showing how to plug a tyre , and may have a few specials to offer on the day :)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Why the coolant drain? Is there part of the cooling system in the way that needs to be removed? Or is it something weird about the Ninja valve set up?

@BENNY THE JET@BENNY THE JET Could show you how to do it on the BMW, that would take about 10 mins :p
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Would definitely be keen to participate as I'm not handy at all! I'd be interested in advice on how to wire in a USB charger properly and seeing brake flushes and oil changes.
  12. Thought your BM was air and oil cooled:)
  13. It is. I was referring to the valve check which would take 10 minutes. Draining the coolant takes a lot less time.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Really appreciate you posting the spanner day Dave(y).I think bike maintenance is number one,and it is great that you and others are willing to help:)
  15. We can probably manage a brake fluid change, but will only see an oil change if someone needs one doing. When are you are Natasha's due?
  16. Perhaps I should be a naughty boy and ride over before the surgeon tells me I'm allowed to... That way I can do an oil change for people to watch. It's only a smidge overdue...
    • Like Like x 2
  17. I still have 1,500km before my 18K service and Natasha will be even further...weekend warriors don't rack up too many km! My brakes haven't been done in the year and a half I've had the bike though and the previous owner rode her over with 18psi in the tyres...maybe I should do the brakes!

Attached Files:

19. That looks fresh. I particularly like the way it clings to the reservoir walls.

Could be a tad overdue for a flush.
  20. Is 30W40 oil specced for clutches now?

Will be easy to see when the new stuff starts coming thru :)