Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Jul 12, 2014] 34th Annual Icicle Ride (Epping Vic)

Discussion in 'VIC' at netrider.net.au started by GreyBM, May 11, 2014.

34th Annual Icicle Ride
Start Date: Jul 12, 2014 18:00
End Date: Jul 13, 2014 00:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +10:00 AEST

Cnr Scanlon Dve and Cooper St
Epping Vic 3076

Posted By: GreyBM

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. #1 GreyBM, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    Registrations for this year’s Icicle Ride have now opened.

For those who don’t know the Icicle Ride is an annual event run by the BMW Motorcycle Club of Victoria. It is a night time ride held in mid-Winter and can be done either as a self navigate ride from instructions given on the night or by following designated ride leaders.

Stating the obvious, this is not a ride for novice riders and it is usually cold so dress warmly.

This years ride of about 340 Km will commence at the BP Service Centre at the corner of Scanlon Drive and Cooper Street, Epping (Melway Map 181 D11). This is about 25 minutes from Melbourne, just off the Hume Freeway at the Cooper St Exit.

The entry fee will include an Icicle Ride badge and a soup stop. Profits from the event will be donated to the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

You can register online, download an entry form and post it, or for a slightly higher fee pay on the night.

The event starts at 6 pm but you need to be there about 5 pm to ensure you are fuelled, registered and in time for the ride briefing. Last year a number of people arrived late, and the start was held off to accommodate which pushed the finish time back too late. This year the ride will start on time. So be there early.

Please also note the finish time is approximate. Last year we had to wait for a bunch of riders who got lost and this group finished about 2 am.

There is a prize for the Club which the most attendees and Netrider held this for a few years in a row until they were narrowly defeated by Mornington Peninsula Motorcycle Club two years back and they held it again last year. If enough Netriders go we can take back the trophy from MPMCC.

More information and links to online registration can be found here.

If you have any questions let me know and I will answer or try to find out.

• Like Like x 4
  2. I'll be there :D

3. #3 GreyBM, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    A starter.

Need about 19 or so more to have any chance of wresting trophy back from MPMCC

4. #5 MV, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Yeah, I'm in!

I nearly froze last year, must remember to use more layers this year.

5. More layers?

You keep warm using chooks?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Thinking about it, but put off by the early start.......

• Like Like x 1
  7. If you want a later ride, feel free to ride on after the finish. But I am tipping the ride will continue until past midnight.

8. Yeah, why? What do you use, some sort of properly designed thermal underwear or something?

:D

9. Newspaper.....?

10. I would be up for this, if it was run during daylight. The headlight on my chookchaser is not up to the job. :(

11. Where does the ride finish?

12. at the end

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It's a Mystery Ride - you're given navigation instructions at the start and at the checkpoints/rest points, but otherwise the route and final destination is a mystery.

In general, the ride finishes somewhere 'near' Melbourne city. The two years I did it, one year ended in Williamtown, and the next year in Black Rock.

14. Keep an eye on the Sunday ride thread. Sometimes @GreyBM@GreyBM will do a rerun during the day, but it might be when the weather improves.

15. Finish is close to a Fwy about 30 mins from Melbourne.

16. I'm in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'll come and play

18. Thanks for the heads up.

Ross.

19. Hmmm. Last time I reran an Icicle Ride in dylight, I bounced off a 4 Wheel drive.